How to NOT get fired? Mistakes you've made that can serve as a bad example

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Frenchfry92, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Frenchfry92

Frenchfry92 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Post your tips and advice. Just want to learn from the more experienced truckers.

What were mistakes you've made, and how do you avoid getting fired?

Thanks in advance. :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mikec265

mikec265 Medium Load Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Dumbed Down Land, WTF
    Dont try to get fired...... like i did on my 1st trucking job. lasted 10 months working for peanuts with a tracking device.

4. Zeddlar

Zeddlar Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Jay, Ok
    Heh, I hope it worked for you, I knew a guy that tried to get fired from England for 2 or 3 years before he finally gave up and quit and went to work for a small family company here close by.

5. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    rule 1 would be don't screw up. However, we all make mistakes. So

rule 2 would be Be someone they want to keep around. If you are a whiner, jerk, lazy, etc... chances are someone is waiting for a reason to can you and that first mistake just might be it. Be friendly, roll with the punches, don't cry every time you get a crappy load, give them more than they bargained for and you will be surprised if and when you do screw up people will step up for you.

texasbigbird54 Thanks this.
  6. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    Positive attitude, don't damage equipment, no insurance claims, manage your hours. Congrats you're the best driver in your fleet, or one of them, I only aim for top 10% personally.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Fire yourself, before they fire you. Don't like the Job, move on. Don't make everyone else miserable.

Give a notice and try not to burn a bridge.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. MrMatt

MrMatt Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    trucking companies rarely ever fire drivers. they just cut out the miles and starve the driver off the road. that's so they don't have to pay unemployment or have explain to the department of labor why they fired the driver.

you need to to learn. a good 85% of these trucking companies act like there crap don't stink and they are perfect. and never do no wrong. and you should be lucky they hired you. that is exactly how they act and think. for the most part they are snippy at best. and when they tell you all the miles you will be getting. divide that number in half. that's the real miles you will get in a 8 day period. they other thing you need to know. they lie about everything. this is a major factor of why the turnover rate is 200% in the trucking industry. to give you some idea. in 3 years. you will probably have atleast 4 different trucking jobs. 90% of the trucker drivers in the trucking industry. with in a 10 year period. they will of had an average of 12 trucking jobs.

9. AZS

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    lots of stats there, lots of garbage too.

10. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Let's see here, 38 years - 2 years, which post should I take to heart? Hmmmmmmm......

11. AZS

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    60% will care what you think. Not possible you can't learn something from me? It was actually his signature that interested me, too bad we aren't in the old days anymore.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.