How to override the Anti Idle

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by JNaum, Dec 5, 2013.

1. JNaum

JNaum Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Dyersburg, TN
    Hey yall, I have a peterbilt 387 with a cummins (Paccar) ISX15. After bout 3 mins of idle time the truck shuts off. I have tried the cruise control trick but that does not work. I was wondering if anyone know any tricks to override this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Call your company. They may have it set to not idle at all.

4. fuzzeymateo

fuzzeymateo Heavy Load Member

May 20, 2013
    AZ
    Ok, I don't recommend this for dummies, (not saying you are one), but you can set the trailer brakes (red button) and not the tractor brakes. This often times tricks the engine into thinking it is still driving. I have seen trucks where it doesn't work but on most it will work. Make sure the trailer brakes are in adjustment so you don't go rolling away and if in doubt, stick a wheel chock under the tire.

5. JNaum

JNaum Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Dyersburg, TN
    ok ill try that, it is ignorant for the company I work for to order them trucks. Lets just say the guy who bought them trucks is no longer working there lol.

6. fuzzeymateo

fuzzeymateo Heavy Load Member

May 20, 2013
    AZ
    Like I said, make sure the brakes are in adjustment and/or put a wheel chock under the tire so you don't go rolling away. The truck may not run indefinitely but I'm pretty sure it will extend the idle time. Almost all fleets have trucks set-up somewhat like this so get used to it.

7. GITRDUN45

GITRDUN45 Heavy Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    That's hilarious. Awsome info.

8. JNaum

JNaum Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Dyersburg, TN
    Both freightliners I drove when I was in training, I could use the cruise control method. Then when I upgraded they gave me a POS pete lol. I have also heard that wait 4 and a half minutes, press the clutch all the way in and then you can idle all night.

9. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Your company can go into the computer and change the settings so it can idle. If they won't do it, tell them to sit in the truck all night without heat, and switch jobs. Any company that wont let you stay warm in the winter is a company you don't need.

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Just like rwdfinch said. They hook the laptop up and under options they can set the idle shutdown.

None
    Cruise Override
    Timed idle _______
    Temperature Idle ________

Your company might not of updated it when they got the truck. It's worth asking the shop and/or dispatch to tell them to update it.

You don't have a bunk heater?

11. JNaum

JNaum Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Dyersburg, TN
    I do not have a bunk heater, but Im not a fan of having a live flame underneath me lol. Also I tried the clutch trick...well that only worked for 5 mins then it shut down again...fml lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.