How To Prepare For The New Entry Level Driver Training Rule

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Eddiec, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I remember people posting on here that cdl school is foolish and if you want a cdl just knock on farmers doors and ask if you can haul their hay using their truck because you want a cdl without going to school.
    `
    Not everyone has a connection to a family member or anyone that can take the time to train and then take them to the DMV for the final road test to get a cdl.
    Just because a few people had those connections doesn't mean everyone in the USA does.

feldsforever and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I want to be a nurse but don't want to go to school. Is there a doctor or hospital that will just hire me and show me how to be a nurse?:rolleyes:

4. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    Pretty soon everyone wanting a CDL will be required to complete approved training beforehand. The days of borrowing your uncle's truck for the test or knocking on Farmer John's door are over. I think we can all agree that there are more than a few drivers on the road who would have benefited from some more training before they were sent out solo.

Val_Caldera and Dockbumper Thank this.
  5. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    From What "I've Heard" (because Trucking has a LOT of stories and it might be true....somewhere on Earth), You can become a Nurse and/or Doctor but initial Training is in Morgues, on UN-Claimed Bodies.
    - - - -
    Back to the O.P. Topic....end of line

6. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Once teamed with a guy when I started with a new company. It was company policy for," new to them", drivers to be trained on routes. This was in East Tx hauling for a huge nursery hauling their plants to their customers.
    This guy was from Maine and learned to drive through the municipality he was working for hauling trash to a landfill in a neighboring town.He never received any formal training.
    We were on a trip to California on 40 coming down from Flagstaff and I woke up when he was riding his brakes. Although he always drove with engine brake on he never thought to use them on grades. He told me he didn't because it was hard on the engine. That was last trip with him even though I was scheduled to be with him another week and a half.

7. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Must have been one of those "Doctors" or "Nurses" that did Jeffery Epstein's autopsy? Vince Foster too?

Val_Caldera Thanks this.
  8. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    I don't think CDL schools have been the problem, it's the training once school is over that could be better and these new rules don't address that.

9. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    You are absolutely correct. CDL Schools teach a Student HOW TO PASS the Pre Trip and Skills test. That is their purpose. You are NOT A DRIVER when you "graduate". You learned the necessary skills to get the piece of plastic.
    The "finishing" process takes place at your first company. Some are better than others.

Jon Hull and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    And I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those "who would have benefited from some more training" got thier CDL through a school or training program of some type, and GENERALLY are not the folks that got thier CDL via farm life (such as myself).

Just my opinion, based on my own observations and personal experiences.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.