How to properly adjust Eaton clutch with hydraulic linkage

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mhyn, Sep 10, 2017.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    can somebody explain me how to adjust Eaton clutch with hydraulic linkage ? I guess the bearing travel adjustment is same as for non-hydraulic linked clutches. how about pedal free play? how to adjust it ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    As with any clutch adjustment, you always do the internal adjustment first. So this depends what type of clutch you have, but generally you adjust for that 1/2" clearance between the release bearing and clutch brake. The hydraulic portion should never have to be touched. If the free play isn't right, there is normally some kind of adjustment between the clutch pedal and master cylinder for this.
    Here is a link to Eaton's service information.
    http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/idcpl...eased&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=RR_CLSM-0200

Rix43, SAR, Goodysnap and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Your " freeplay" on a hydraulic linkage is almost non-existant. A good indicator that the clutch is out of adjust is the clutch brake starts to go away from the floor. Also note when your engagment moves to the top of the pedal travel. Any adjustment on the hydraulic side would vary by OEM and often there is no need or way to adjust. Heavy is spot on and do the 1/2" first and run it.

Rix43 and mhyn Thank this.
  5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    thank you guys for info. the clutch was installed 4 months ago. now the freeplay is about 5/16 inch. its also hard to put in first gear. I will adjust it Wednesday when I get home. the clutch is Eaton Evertough manual adjustable.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Rix43 Thanks this.
  6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I just use a long 1/2" extension to test. No need (also no way) to really adjust pedal in hydraulic system. If you are down to only 5/16 after 4 months, someone is a pretty good driver!

mhyn Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have fork style 1/2 inch thick clutch adjustment tool at home.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    A really good simple gap tool for bearing to clutch brake is a hacksaw blade. Most standard hacksaw blades are about 1/2 wide. Then you can turn it sideways and hold it so it is flat between the brake and bearing while someone holds the clutch pedal all the way down to see if the bearing is squeezing against the clutch brake.

SAR, mhyn, QUALITYTRUCK and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. T m Transport

T m Transport Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Clewiston FL

10. T m Transport

T m Transport Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Clewiston FL
    Where's the OEM location on the semi and how do you adjust I have a Volvo 2007 with 475 Cummins and a 18 speed Eaton transmission with a hydraulic clutch if you can respond back to me as soon as possible I would really appreciate it thank you.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    search it on youtube…

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.