How to start a truck from a stop on a hill

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bigowl, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Bigowl

Bigowl Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been at a stoplight on a hill and seen were trucks roll back before they are able to pull forward. Is there a way to prevent this when you are loaded to the hilt 80,000lbs. Thanks

1mm3406e Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Let the clutch out slowly til you feel it start to pull, then release the brake.

4. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2009
    East Coast
    Get out and push it! :biggrin_2559:
    No seriously if possible set the maxi brakes slip the clutch a little and give it some gas and release the brakes

5. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Keep foot on brake and start to let out on clutch. As truck starts to grab release brake and give it the gas. Nothing special to it. just dont let the clutch out to fast or you'll be grabbing the key!

1mm3406e Thanks this.
  6. VARITHMS

VARITHMS Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    HOUSTON
    They all make good points. When putting tention on the drivetrain starting in the lowest gear helps if your prone to stalling. On really steep hills,(if your religious) a small prayer for the u-joints may help.

7. poppy

poppy "I Love that Cushaw Pie"

Jul 31, 2007
    ky
    if you use your low gear, you should be able to just ease out the clutch and then give it fuel. if you get on the fuel before the clutch is engaged, you run the risk of breaking an axle, or u joint. there is a ton of torque in a low gear and gasing it and hitting the clutch something is gonna give.

grabbing the next gear is where it gets interesting.:biggrin_25523:

8. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    Most modern engines know when your engaging the clutch and will automatically compensate the engine for the load being applied.
    Most problems occur when drivers do not use a low gear to take off on a hill or decide to use throttle to get moving.
    Seen drivers bouncing trucks trying to get started, can we say damaged driveshafts.

Try it sometime on flat ground, keep pressure on the brake pedal, release clutch slow then when you feel the engine rpms increase slightly release brake pedal.
    This will stop you stalling or rolling back.

9. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Not trying to be a smarta##, but isn't this one of the things that one is tested on during the CDL road test ? I know it was for me. And since the truck I was in was an 18-speed, I pretty much split-shifted all the way to the top gear, going up a hill from a standstill on an upward slope.

10. link523

link523 Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2008
    michigan
    I was never tested on that for my cdl. but then again we dont have many steep grades in detroit! just start out in lower grears you will be fine

11. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Graymist, there were no hills with stoplights or signs anywhere near my testing course.

And I should note that this is EXACTLY THE SAME as how you drive a car. Seriously.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.