How to start booking your own loads.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dztruck, Mar 21, 2019.

1. dztruck

dztruck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    hi everyone. Just a little back story. I got into trucking a few years back. My friend who owned a few trucks convinced me to getting a truck n he’d dispatch me loads for a % of the load. But now i want to get fully on my own and book my own loads.

I have never booked a load in my life.

What are the things that go into getting myself out there, brokers, where to find loads and how to get paid. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    DAT board is the best in my opinion to book your own loads. You can call them at
    1 (800) 551-8847 and they will guide you how to get set up. There are different levels of DAT. I would recommend Truckersedge version of DAT because it doesn't cost as much and you can use it on the app and online.

Being a new venture not every broker will work with you so here are some names of brokers you can use to get started. Landstar, CH Robinson, Coyote, BNSF, Convoy. Most of these brokers have quick pay if you want it. Usually 2% of the load. If you don't like giving up 2% then you can choose the standard 30 day pay.

650cat425, crocky and SoDel Thank this.
  4. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Thank you. My dot has been active since beginning of 2017, so its been 2 years since ive been “on my own”.

5. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    If you haven't pulled any loads then brokers are going to want to see references or bill of Ladings... You said its been active for 2 years, so do you have 2 years worth of Insurance under your own authority? MCS-150? I know you don't have IFTA taxes because you said earlier you have never booked a load before.

Authority does not stay "active" unless Insurance is being paid..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    86scotty Thanks this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Just to be clear. You have a active mc# or hauling exempt commodities?

7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Brokers don’t know if you ever pulled a load before or not. They can see when your authority became active and if you have insurance. They’ll know you haven’t hauled for them before when you have to set up a carrier agreement.
    Also, ifta has nothing to do with authority. You can have an ifta account and not have your own authority.

86scotty, Tug Toy, FoolsErrand and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    well then I guess the guy needs to start calling around to brokers. Word to the wise though don't be that guy that says "I'll haul it cheaper than what he will"... then you will have no friends..

chimbotano Thanks this.
  9. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will have to start calling brokers and finding out what they require. Any other tips on dealing, negotiating rates or how to keep scheduling loads so i dont get stuck with no loads? Again much appreciated guys.

10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I would recommend DAT because it’s probably the largest and most legit out of the dozens of loadboards nowadays. If you’re a member of OOIDA, you can get a discount.

Getting brokers is fairly easily. It’s all about making some calls when selecting loads from the DAT loadboard. Tell them you would like to sign up. They will then email you a packet or a link for you to fill out the packet online. Some brokers won’t sign you up unless you are willing to book a load.

Before you book your first load you want to make sure you are fully ready, legally speaking. OOIDA has some free educational videos, and they are very helpful for people starting out. Last thing you want is to be put out of service at the weight station on your first load. It won’t look good once your new entrant audit comes up.

SoDel Thanks this.
  11. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Your MC counts . Now, before you decide to pick up the phone , make sure you know the real miles , find out if where you going is a good place to get a load back or to any place that you decide to go . Then , when you are talking to a broker , findout the temperature, weight , picks , deliveries how many days you will have the load in your truck and charge accordingly. For instance Ice cream is -20 and you should charge more . I’m pretty sure that you will learn quick .
    Discipline!!!

D.Tibbitt and SoDel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.