How to stay fit OTR?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gatorgrl, Sep 23, 2018.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Even pulling fladbed and tarping most every load wasn't enough cardio. I would always park in the furthest spot away in the TS, always walk the long way. Always pull in someplace and park way ahead to make room if someone else came in and walked back. still not enough.

Need to go find a hill to walk up a few times.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Once in a while we would be bored all that power to burn and nothing to do. SO we mine the trailer tires with the old 5 spoke wheels for good quality new tires, put those on our drives and slap the worser tires (Don't you love that grammer...) onto the trailer. That takes a little time and burns that boredom off. If the trailer possessed tires better than the ones on the tractor drives that is. After a while the company realizes you never asked for tires on your tractor. Hum? Those? They are still good, see?

When they see they start adding 2+2, generic cheapo container tires on the drives versus a preferred tire account and brand. That is what gave the game away. They don't particularly cotton to drivers playing tireboy out of boredom potentially poaching someone else's tires.

When companies started giving me complete truck and trailers with all aluminum wheels and good tires all 18 of them there is no point in continuing that little burn off. We were not so bored by then. Always some place to go.

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I thought that’s what all those nice girls at the truck stops were for? Personal Trainers? After all... after they knock on the truck door... get inside...truck starts rocking all over the place? :dontknow: Thought those guys were getting a really good workout? They sure don’t last very long?

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Instead of parking at the truck stop try parking 5 miles away and walking the rest of the way, be sure to bring with you a travel bag as its an awful long way to walk back if you forget your toiletries. Offer to wash all the trucks at the truck stop the added advantage is you'll now have some extra change, if any truck drivers have pet dogs offer to walk their dog for them, let the dog run off and then spend the whole night trying to catch it. At the fuel island offer to wash all arriving trucks wind shields, also as an extra tell them how unprofessional they are for parking the truck up there and preventing others from refueling. If they come after you mores the better as now you'll be super fit from walking the 5 miles from where you parked, chasing the dog all night and washing wind shields then you will now be able to run all the way back to your parked truck problem solved.

6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Running/jogging/sprinting is a great option.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Walking.

Biking.

I'm about to do 3 miles round trip, coming back with a bag of ice.

Get some freight that you have to fingerprint.

Unfortunately, you have to get off the delicious fatty foods too.

8. 28

28 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2015
    carbs are the enemy ....

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  9. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Do not use resistance bands, they are very dangerous. Go for walks. Stop every couple of hours and jump and stretch outside of the truck.

10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Become a bed bugger. Hand load 20-30'000lbs 20-200lbs at a time. Plenty of cardio going up and down the stairs, thru the door up and down the driveway. To and from the trailer, u0 the ramps. Then put 8-16lbs of covers over each piece. Pick up said piece, and walk 3-5 steps on ladder, put in place. Repeat 300 more times. And in 2-3 days, do it again in reverse.

11. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    There is some thread on here about one of the major 24 hour gyms that have truck parking at a few locations across the country??

I've seen a flatbed use a rolled up tarp for a workout session once. My finger isn't toucing that tarp unless I'm getting paid to throw it over a load ... but to each their own. More power to him for having the drive to not be another 500lbs statistic!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.