How to study for CDL and most important?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Jeremy5085, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Jeremy5085

Jeremy5085 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Green bay
    Hey all. I'm prepping my to maybe get my cdl next summer. So I'm trying to get a jump start and start studying in my free time at home. I know their area bunch of sites for them.

How ever what should I be studying the most general knowledge? And air brakes system was my thinking. What you guys think ?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The Air break test seems to be the most critical and most oddly worded. Hazmat has a lot to absorb.

You will be ok with the strange questions if you know what the manual explains. It's like someone who didn't really know had the job of writing the questions. You just have to know it better than they did.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Study the whole cdl handbook. Plenty of practice tests here on TTR.

Rideandrepair and justa_driver Thank this.
  5. Jeremy5085

Jul 7, 2018
    Green bay
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Make the CDL manual your bedtime story and you will be fine.

Good luck.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Everything attached to, bolted on, tied to, strapped to, welded to etc onto a tractor trailer for the most part serves a purpose.

Soak a chapter every night for 6 months. You will be sick of it by then. but follow up with particular videos, factory PDF's etc online once a day. You will be sick of that too in time.

However the result is when you are at trucking school and get close to a big truck you will know and recognize way more than half the class with you. The big problem is the computers in those #### things. Some of it is not for you. It's the company stuff.

8. shoe128

shoe128 Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Be singal ready to be gone a lot.whst you are looking at is a good start.
    It's not a luxury type job but with the right color. it can pay well
    That's for staters

9. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yea it can be tough on a marriage at first. Not an impossible obstacle but challenging sometimes.

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Get that CDL manual from the DMV, in my state it was free. Study it from cover to cover, multiple times. Pay particular attention to general knowledge, air brakes, pre trip inspections, and any other chapters related to the additional endorsements you want. But still study the entire book regardless of whether you think it will apply to what you want/intend to do.

Then you can find practice tests online that you can take over and over as many times as you'd like for free.

I personally got my Class A with Doubles & Triples, and Tanker endorsements. I had zero interest in getting the HazMat endorsement, but have worked at companies that did have a need for some HazMat drivers. So I did familiarize myself with that section as well so that I could have the knowledge to be able to help and advise with the loading and prepping of shipments leaving our facility.

11. Jeremy5085

Jul 7, 2018
    Green bay
    Once again thanks everyone. .

My next step is to figure it I wanna go threw a company that pays for for my school or do it on my own and get a loan. Gots time to figure it out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.