How to warm Van when stopped?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by richard221, Mar 9, 2008.

1. richard221

richard221 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Knoxville,Tn
    I am working for PANTHER with my own van. What is to best way to warm my van when parked waiting for a load. Is a catalytic propane ventless heater safe? Like Tag-a -Long or Portable Buddy?

I have a plan to lease a Sleeper/Box truck thru PANTHER in the future. Right now I am using my own van. I have worked for Reliable Company in Michigan and always had regular loads for the past 3 years.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Depending on how well insulated and how big of a unit you can get a Webasto heater might do the trick. You aren't needing HOT? just warm correct?
    I think a Webasto puts out 15,000 BTUs that might be enough to prevent freezing with good insulation.

4. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Assuming that your vehicle is diesel powered, I would think that a webasto type heater would do the trick as well as anything else you could find. There are gas burning webasto type heaters, like VW used to install in the old model bugs, but I don't like the gas burning unts at all, if they are even still available. Another option would be to head for a RV store or online and pick up an RV type of furnace that you could install in the van. They are safe for use, and are properly vented to the exterior. Unfortunately, that means carrying a propane tank and complying with the laws that apply for tunnels and other places on your routes.

The various types of portable heaters such as catalytics are not vented and if you have the vehicle closed up at night, they are going to be burning the same oxygen you need for breathing.

You can do this, but you have to do it safely.

5. Harley

Harley Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Missouri
    Since I have never pulled a Van (or anything else for that matter) what is the purpose of warming the van? Do some customers require you to warm the Van before they load it?

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

He is a cargo van driver. He is leased to Panther.

7. Harley

Harley Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Missouri
    Sorry, I dont know anything about Panther so I was just curious.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

He sleeps in the van and is looking for a heat source.

9. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I see what he is saying now. I was thinking a van trailer before, but he is referring to his expediter van.

A wabasto will easy heat that.

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

After this year, I am looking into one of them before next year. Too many nights on the wrong side of zero.

11. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I'm wanting a APU in the worst way. I've tried a couple sources of loans and will get the best deal by far with a HELOC, I would not put my house at risk for a truck loan, but at $7000 for an APU its not much of a risk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.