How was 2019 for you?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 6wheeler, Jan 3, 2020.

How was 2019 for you?

1. Better than the year before

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. About the same.

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Worse than the year before.

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  4. I don't know yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    A number of trucking companies went under but we don't always get owner operator results in the news.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gravelhauler

gravelhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lake Charles, La
    2019 has been hell. My dad lost his leg from just below the knee because he's hardheaded and didn't take his medication. I didn't have it in me to put him in a nursing home and my sister is in prison because she decided that heroin was good idea. So it was all left on me. I had to quit a very good job because I was away from home several nights a week. Made great money, 100% company paid health insurance, 401K, I was up to 3 weeks of paid vacation a year, and the boss kept us in loaded, owner/operator speced Pete 389s. I had to be home at night to make sure he was eating right and taking his medication etc. So I walked away from my job and got a local gig. Now I'm driving a 16 year old ragged out Freightliner Classic. I haul silica sand to a local PPG plant 6 days a week. The money is good and the owner works with me when I have to take off to bring my dad to the doctor. That's my benefits. No insurance, no vacation, nothing. I was able to keep my 401k and still put 50 bucks a week in it and I was able to keep my Aflac. So yeah, 2019 can kiss where the sun don't shine.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  4. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    But when you look back in a few years time, you wont regret what you've had to change for your old dad's sake. Good luck to you for acting like you have.

5. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    2019 was rough, way too many trucks on the road, plus freight slowing down, with lots of growing pains in a myriad of capacities and all simultaneous. I took a lot of time off just to stay sane, the roads get dangerous sometimes in a way that's not fun or worth it. If we don't all get vaporized in a nuclear urinary olympiad I have high hopes for 2020. If only because I anticipate the PAIN HAS TO STOP AT SOME POINT.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Thats a real man right there, give up everything to care for his pops. My hats off to you . Hoping this year will be better for u

x1Heavy and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Where is the tab for worst year of my life so far I was about to open up 2 other companies in the next few years and the fbi arrested my father and if he cant prove his innocence I'm about to lose almost everything that I own because his name was on as a 50% owner of my company so now is just a waiting game to see what they have to say in court but they frozen all of my assets so I had to let 6 employees go because I can't afford the overhead right now

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Hang in there boss. Hopefully your ol man was good to you and your just paying it back. Sometimes we do what we got to do because its the right thing to do. Far as your sister, sorry but piss on her. (I know from experience)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Jesus dude. What did they arrest him for? Was it legit?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    2019 Was worst then the year before but that's to be expected. 2018 was probably the best year in trucking in a generation. We ended up doing better then expected but about 25% off last year profit wise.

shatteredsquare and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018

Yea I'm serious they said it's for bank fraud and money laundering and a long list of charges

D.Tibbitt and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.