How's this sound to you guys?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Boattlebot, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    I feel I got a decent beginner setup but I'm new so I'd like opinions.

Uniden bearcat 980ssb peaked and tuned putting out 12w and I just installed a road pro heli coil 54 stainless whip on a mirror mount. According to my radio I got a 1.5 swr.

Just looking for input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Not too familiar with the antenna you have, but the radio is very popular and your SWR is #### near perfect. As long as the radio was tuned properly, you're golden.

4. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    The antenna is just a cheapo from loves. It was in sale. Same people wbo ake the lunch box ovens.

The radio I bought used for 100$ at the cb shop at the ta in somewhere west Virginia. I watched him peak and tune. I saw the thing put the 12w out. Of sure how reputible he is as a tuner but he's a solid guy. I was more empresses with the guy at the cb shop at the ta in Atlanta (the paid parking one with the chrome shop and tattoo parlor as well)

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    Funny thing is, didn't have to touch the antenna to get that. I just put it all max shortness and it worked lol. Gotta say something for dumb luck on that one

6. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    I should also note I'm useing the radios built in swr meter And it just jumped a little closer to 2 when I keyed up on 19.
    Any opinions?

I'm trying to learn so forgive any super repeated questions lol

7. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Personally i wouldn't trust built in meter, i would have SWR check with a meter.

8. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    Well I did buy the meter at the loves but I trashed the one coax during install and didn't feel like spending more money today on the thing so I traded the meter for a lunchbox oven and 2 more of my dollars.

But I also havent touched the whip with a cutting device for that very reason. Just In case....

Oh also I used 18ft of coax.

9. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure it's fine. All of my antennas had a pretty good SWR under two if I had a good ground. Since your radio puts out about 12 watts, I'm sure your antenna is fine. Some people really freak out about their radios breaking with a bad SWR. While it is not great for a radio to have a lot of reflected power, there's a YouTube video of a guy who left a cobra 25 keyed up without an antenna for a few hours. It did not fail, but got warm.

10. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    I'm not worryied about branding my radio. Im just trying to get some distance out of this thing. I've had the radio a little while and I'd like to be able to talk further then half a mile or so. Other then that idk....

11. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    If your antenna warning light stays off, you're probably fine. Perfecting the SWR won't help much. Rather, make sure the antenna is as far away from parallel surfaces as possible. Longer antennas are better, certainly you want at least 3 feet. Have you checked range with other drivers?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.