Huge deal made for driverless trucks by 2024

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Jul 1, 2020.

1. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Good. I'll be ready to retire by that time.

nredfor88 and tommymonza Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When they are able to run across Wyoming in the winter then there might be something to worry about.

Dan.S, Opendeckin, nredfor88 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Yep, when every sensor and camera they put on it is covered in snow and ice, let's see how they run then.

tommymonza, Doealex and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I like how their plan is desert southwest and Texas first year, basically across I-10 second year, but nationwide in all weather and road conditions by the last year.

Dan.S, stwik, TokyoJoe and 3 others Thank this.
  6. 775mito

775mito Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Montana
    It’s funny how people are. If you look at statistics of driverless vs humans you realize ho much safer it is driverless. I saw it before with Tesla’s when one electric car catches fire it’s the end of the world and those vehicles are evil yet look how often it happens in other vehicles. Driverless will be safer for all of us and our families on the road

7. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why are you on a truck DRIVER message board throwing your support to an industry that will take thousands if not millions of men and women and throw them into the unemployment line? Go find a tech board if you want to spout off about the "positives" of driver-less trucks. Some of us don't want to lose our livelihoods...

8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    When there's some lowlife standing in the road stopping your car with your family inside let us know what you think about driverless vehicles then. Nobody who's all for driverless vehicles takes into account criminal nature.

AramatAz Thanks this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Idk about u , but i sure as heck dont want a driverless semi behind my family running 80k down a 6 percent grade on snow and ice..... U know have they figured out how theyre gonna get down the mountains? Being that they eliminated the diesel engine and effectivly the transmissions as well... how do u get down a mountain with no jake break or gears to select from ?

Rubber duck kw and 775mito Thank this.
  10. 775mito

775mito Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Montana
    My guess is they wouldn't put a driverless truck on the road unless they had it all figured out. I'm not saying they'll be perfect but I am saying the technology will move forward. My guess is first the driverless trucks will have limited loads and all roads and hills will be accounted for. I've worked in technology before and the some of the main concerns with new tech is how to get everyone to accept it and how to not get sued. It sounds scary at first but personally I believe it will be safer, I mean how can it not be. They won't let it alone on the road until the route has been tested before, there will be humans watching the vehicles and their progression, and at first there more than likely will be a human behind the wheel to make sure its safe and following vehicles for emergencies.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well the problem is all the tests they have done with driverless trucks are on diesel engines which still have gear boxes and jake breaks. The only place they are running tesla is in the flatland of LA. I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt even think about how they are gonna run the rocky mountains without catching them brakes onfire

AramatAz and 775mito Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.