Hunts Point Market Stories From Back In The Day...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by yuban, May 17, 2021.

1. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Spent quality time on meat street (Fulton market) in Chicago too. I recall the guard that backed you in telling me to" look at me and not your mirrors "

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    I delivered there on occasion back in the '80s, placed sucked, even worse than Chelsea. Always delivered early AM, you didn't stop at the the stop signs or lights, slowed down but didn't ever stop. Some jamoke would jump in front of your truck, trying to get you to stop, while his buddy's would then be jacking your load out the back. See him coming off the sidewalk, hit the coal, he'll move outta the way. Street walkers would be on the corners, wearing a full length fur coat, as you went by, they'd open that coat and flash their wares. Yeah, that place sucked, as did most city produce, meat & fish markets. Giuliani cleaned it up I heard later on, but I couldn't tell you how it is now, haven't been there in years, and no plans to go back, ever....

4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Knew a driver who had a squeegee guy jump on the front of his cabover Pete, he didn’t stop until he got into New Jersey! The cops had to pry his fingers of the front grab bar.

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Used to see city delivery trucks that had curved shields that were attached to the bottom of the cab doors that hung down and covered the steps of the cab. Stopped guys from jumping up on the steps and sticking a knife/gun through the window to try to rob the driver.
    Then there were the gangs that would put up barricades on the street with detour signs telling you to turn down some dead end street where they could jack the load or stick up the driver.
    Or the guys with the safety vests on who would jump up on your steps and offer to guide you in for $$$.

bentstrider83 and yuban Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Hp meat market is a good place these days .
    I quit running the city 4 years ago but up until then I would stock up on food and beer on Leggett st and spend Sat night and Sunday there .
    Always thought it was cool how that place came to life about 3am ...never once had an issue there .

bentstrider83, Brettj3876 and Dennixx Thank this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I think a lot of the "hood stories" are exaggerated a bit Lol. Doing food service with willow run in NYC and Baltimore i never had any issues in the dead of night in the hood.

Ok not my story but my dad's. He had a load of melons that picked up in Georgia in the early 80s with the old F700. Stopped in jersey to pick up my uncle for the grunt work. The guys at hunts point thought they were gonna make him pay for a lumper. They thought wrong. My dad pulled up from the dock, shut his doors and backed against the dock Lol. "I brought my help. You think I'm paying outta pocket to get this off my truck, I'll go sell em on the corner."

Eventually when they ran out of crimson melons the guys at the docks caved and my dad and uncle got to humping it

bentstrider83, slow.rider and bzinger Thank this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Lol. A few months ago P&G gave us like 6 load bars for free. They seal it and everything there, got to the receiver and opened the doors to half a dozen load bars laying on the tail. Probably was sitting on the dock for a while and they wanted to dump em. I wish stuff like that would happen more often. Maybe i should bye some lotto tickets;)

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Headed for willow Run now out of Phoenix with a load I picked up out of McLane food service there ...go figure.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  10. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Must of been the late 70’s maybe early 80’s. We were parked in my Dads K100. Dad was in the bunk and I was laid across the dog box with a suitcase on each seat. There was a knock at the door. A “lady” asked me what we were up to? I said waiting to get unloaded. She replied “I can get you unloaded!”
    I woke my Dad up and told him the “lady” said she could get us unloaded. I learned a lot of curse words that night as my Pop instructed her where she could go and what she could do when she got there! I think that was my first interaction with a hooker...and I was only 8 or 9 years old!

11. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Thats what he says, but he didn't have nearly as big an impact as he wants people to think. The drop in crime began years before he took office, and it was a nationwide trend, not specific to NYC.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    bentstrider83 and ncmickey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.