Husband starting with Roehl 1/11/10

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Moetou, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Moetou

Moetou Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2009
    New Albany, Indiana
    My husband is starting with Roehl on 1/11/10 and I am the one that is nervous. I have read through the posts on this site for the last couple of months. I have taken everything with a grain of salt. Due to the fact that you can not please everyone all the time. I have found more good posts than bad post but am still worried this is not what I expect it to be. He is excited to start a new career. After 15 years in Industrial Maintenance he is changing careers to save his knees from the constant pounding. I am supportive but secretly fear that we won't see the home time that has been explained. I will survive and always be supportive I just hope that it is everything he wants it to be and be enough to help support the family at home.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated either for him or me. Thanks!:biggrin_2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Depending on your financial situation check out the home-time fleets. The downside is that you have a commute (in my case three hours), you slip-seat, and you don't make as much money. The positive is that you get the most predictable home-time available in trucking. Roehl has three types of home-time fleets 7/7, 7/4-7/3, 14/7. I do the 7/4-7/3 out of East St. Louis. I have been on this since June of 08 and overall has worked pretty well.

If you are used to a 9-5 home everyday get home at five on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to yourself, take a day off because you have to see a doctor, you are in for a shock to your system. I have always had jobs that required extensive travel and was traveling when we met. Even at that, truck driving took it up a couple more notches. I have a nine year old daughter and miss more of her activities than I like. It doesn't stop me from being involved, but I have to work at it. My wife has to run the house when I'm gone, but we still stay in contact and make decisions jointly. Get a good cell phone plan and a bluetooth.

Moetou Thanks this.
  4. Moetou

Moetou Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2009
    New Albany, Indiana
    Thanks we luckily already have free cell to cell calling but that is something to think about.

5. pennsy

pennsy Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Can I ask what fleet your husband choose? Van, refer, or flat?

6. Moetou

Moetou Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2009
    New Albany, Indiana
    Refer, I believe!

7. Oldguynewjob

Oldguynewjob Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Il.
    Moetou, I worked in a factory for 30 plus years until I went into Roehl's driver training about 1 1/2 years ago. Even with a family member already driving OTR it was still a big adjustment for both myself and my wife (kids are grown and gone). Roehl has done a good job of getting me home on time (which means plus or minus a day) keeping in mind freight is what moves the truck. Originaly thought the wife would go with me from time to time but the reality of life on the road makes that not an option. You do tend to appreciate the time you have together much more, but overall it is hard on the family life. Good luck to you both in your new situation I hope it works out for you.

8. kondia

kondia Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Bloomsburg PA
    I am starting too at Roehl on 1/11/2010. I am currently in Marshfield WI getting ready for qualification Day tommorrow

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. JennCTW

JennCTW Light Load Member

Best of luck to you Roehl-newbies :biggrin_25525:

10. RACEFAN

RACEFAN Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Good Luck to all of you!!!!!!!!!!

11. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Get some good rest...tomorrow's a big day! Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.