Husband starting with Roehl 1/11/10

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Moetou, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I think your hubby will do just fine at Roehl. I drove for Roehl for about a year before I retired.Like with any company I had a few iussues,but they were always taken care of by a phone call to my dispatcher or fleet mgr.Way too many of the newbees on this site think they can start off,by gettiong very good runs or even dedicated runs right out of driving school.As with any job,ya gotta pay your dues,then later on things will become easier.And a lot of that is just getting used to the system.I always hated going across the GW bridge into NYC,but when you are in lets say Dallas,TX.and you pick up a load going to the Rotten Apple,hey its good miles and good pay,so what are you gonna do.For me I will take it and make the money.After all its a job and not a vacation as some of these new drivers seem to think.Anyway good luck to your hubby.

Moetou and JustSonny Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moetou

Moetou Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2009
    New Albany, Indiana
    It has been a while since I have posted. Just to update you all on my husband's journey. He was assigned his own truck the middle of February. He was supposed to be home on Sunday the 21st but that did not happen. So he asked to stay out until that next Friday. Which turned into 3 am Saturday morning under a van load instead of a refer. At least he made it home for the weekend.

He left the 2nd day of March and this trip has had its issues. Some truck, shipper and weekend dispatch issues. He took his van load and headed south. Spent some time in Georgia and Florida and then back to Georgia. Was to pick up a van load and head north. It should have been an easy drop and hook on a Saturday. The load was way to heavy. As you know might know in EVO III you are required to scale everything. Even if he wasn't he would have scaled this load it just seemed heavy. Reported it and was told by weekend dispatch to wait till Monday morning and call dispatch. The comapny was not working that weekend. Called first thing Monday morning and they seemed like they did not know what was going on. The load was due to deliver Monday at 2pm but had not left. Vise switching him to a different load he waited and waited for this load. Finally Tuesday morning he got the load back and when and rescaled it to find out they took maybe 1500 pounds off. However, it was still over by about 1200 pounds. Back it went to the shipper. At 1:45 finally left for delivery point about 50 miles from the house. The kids and I went to see him for dinner the next night after he deliverd.

He picked up the next day in Lexington and headed north. After his delivery he headed for Gary to have the truck worked on. Spent the rest of Friday, all of Saturday and part of Sunday in Gary because the truck would not start. Once they finally replaced the fuel pump and found the ground wire somewhere in the wiring harness he was back in business. Still under a van though was told should be a refer he made a delivery to Richmond about 100 miles from Gary. Asking and wondering when he would be back under a refer. He got his wish. The next load was a refer load from Madison to Indiana somewhere.

He is uspposed to be home this Thursday or Friday and I hope this trip ends soon! So we can but a difficult and frustrating time behind us. We are hopefull the next trip is busy but not this problematic. Unfortunately, sometimes a serious of events totaly unrelated can leave a bad taste and we are just hoping a little time at home will clear that bad taste and start the next trip freash and minty......:yes2557:

4. GypsyWillowDusk72

GypsyWillowDusk72 Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    everywhere
    Hey Road Dog, I know you had a good experience with Roehl but fortunately for you you retired before they went downhill. Trust me I know. When I first started they were great then in 2009 things changed for the worse. I hope you are enjoying your retirement. Good luck to you.

5. GunzFlatbedder

GunzFlatbedder Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Marshfield
    Tell your hubby every day is an adventure, sometimes they turn out great other times its a fiasco, but its truck driving. GAry maintenance is well... Gary... Psrt of the evo 3 experience is to push him to his limits, freight issues, routing, pushing his drive times... see how he reacts...Once he hits the mainstream he will level off. Of course depending on his fleet manager...

Moetou Thanks this.
  6. fancypants

fancypants Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    I started right w/reefer

7. Young-Gun-101

Young-Gun-101 Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Iowa
    Im not sure if there consider van and refer together. but roehl is changing there training program to were during Evo 3 you have to pull dry van. then if going to flatbed division u go do 4 days of load securment then go out with a flatbed trainer. I relise that this wasnt the case before but I know for a fact it is starting this month.

8. Moetou

Moetou Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2009
    New Albany, Indiana
    It has been a while since I have updated you all on my husband driving out in the Roehl world. He is out of EVO III and mainstreamed. He was out for almost 25 days last trip because they were unable to get him to a different home stop because there was no refer freight headed that way. He did not want to come home if we were some where else so he chose to stay out. He went back out a week ago Monday and is due home tomorrow (as a special request). It has been a little crazy at home. Our oldest son broke his ankle in two places and that was hard on him not being able to be here. However, we knew there was nothing he could do it was still difficult. Things are going well. Refer seems to be moving fairly well. He has averaged about 2200 miles a week. Some better than others but that is the average. It is still just an adjustment period. I am just happy he will be home so I can go work the track for the Kentucky Derby and make some extra money.... Be safe and drive smart out there!:biggrin_255:

9. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    you are right. that is what they told me as well. I recently spoke to them about hiring on with them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.