Husband & Wife restarting trucking career need advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Jun 20, 2021.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Stop judging, ain't no need to count their pockets man. We don't know their situation. It ain't always that easy particularly in this day and age to maintain. Hopefully they can land somewhere and hit the ground running. I really hope they do well

scott180 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Thanks bryan21384 for the well wishes.
    I've gotten this judging before.I have had great success and unfortunately some failures brought on by a mix of bad decisions and bad luck.
    I had broken into the six figures for my savings and had a $260k house I put $60k down on. House I had by 26yo the savings by 30yo. It's amazing how fast it all goes when you get hurt and can't work for awhile and when you do get to work it's at a much much lower pay level. Medical will eat your savings faster than a Rottweiler eating a T-bone stake. And then had family steal from me. That one hurt. Now I'm 45yo and pert near broke.

The lesson I learned is you need long term disability issuance even if you think you're healthy as a horse, truck driving has no transferable skills and no one wants someone who can barely move.

Now here is the funny part. I used to pay over $25k a year in taxes (lived in CA) but couldn't get the government to help till I was flat busted. But now in the last few months we were able to get medicaid and got the surgeries we needed so we could get back to good paying jobs. If I hadn't fought so hard to make ends meet doing crap work they would of helped me with medical so I could do better work. And then you look at those who don't want to work at all and the system bends over backwards to give them whatever they want. Crazy.

Anyways that's the great thing about America. Anyone can succeed then fall flat on their face, succeed and fail again, get back up and succeed once more if I can. Hopefully this time I just skip the beat down. I ain't looking as fetching as I once did.:confused:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    bryan21384 and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Old Dominion Freight Line

Qualifications:
    • High School Degree or equivalent preferred
    • Must have the ability to read, write, speak English and perform simple mathematical calculations with general mental abilities to handle receipts, read maps, road signs, maintain logs, etc.
    • Must possess a valid commercial driver's license with hazmat, doubles and tanker endorsements.
    • Must have 12 months previous tractor-trailer driving experience and/or be a graduate of a State Certified, Licensed and Safety Department approved driving school, and/or have satisfactorily completed the Old Dominion Truck Driver Training school
    • Must be at least 22 years old.

I'm trying to get us into the trucking school. This would be a great place to work. Good companies need drivers and are willing to hire people they wouldn't of in 2019 so why not shoot high.

Free medical with Yellow is a big deal to me.
    Thanks

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Free health insurance is a big deal. As you know, health problems can bankrupt a person at warp speed.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Had my bankruptcy discharged last month. No credit card or vehicle debt. All medical.

Just got nerve ablation in my back today. Got the all is so good with my heart that they don't want to see me unless I feel something's wrong. Had a sleep study done at a sleep center and was able to officially get off cpap. Got my two year DOT Medical card. Wife had a surgery she needed that had kept her from working this last year. $20k+ worth of bills paid for all thanks to Medicaid. I'll always carry good insurance from now on.

We are raring to get back to making a good living. I've been well off and poor off. Trust me, well off is soooo much better.

7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    That’s why I prefaced it with “don’t take this the wrong way,”

I totally understand medical bills.

Last year, just as covid hit I was in the hospital for a week for a nasty infection that ate a hole through my colon.

was out of work for six weeks after.
    Thing that saved me was I had signed up for the short and long term disability insurance. The five thousand dollar deductible sucked but couldn’t do anything about that.

A couple of years ago my brother was in ICU for 5 months,
    The hospital sent him a bill for $497k
    And that was after his insurance had paid all they were gonna pay.

he will wind up filing bk over it sooner or later.

And ive been healthy but flat broke too.
    Getting into Trucking is what kept me from being penniless and starving.

I wasn’t judging , I was concerned . Because I’ve been there and it totally blows to be in that spot.

bryan21384 and scott180 Thank this.
  8. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    That is so true!!! I have seen it happen to both friends and family. One of the BIG ADVANTAGES of being a Company Driver and being able to have access to a Short Term and Long Term Disability policy for a very reasonable rate. I am 61 years old and have both thru my employer. I also pay for a critical illness policy.....cancer/stroke/heart attack. My take home pay weekly is still 1100-1200. Those expenses are worth every penny at any age!

scott180 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I feel your pain man, it's hard out here. We live in a take first society for real. I try sometimes to change the narrative and give when I can, won't speculate about a situation, will never judge anyone, at least try not to. I give you all the credit in the world for fighting back. It takes so much mental toughness and I can appreciate that. I know yall will hit the ground running without looking back. You got any hits yet?

scott180 Thanks this.
  11. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Go Old Dominion or Estes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.