Husband/Wife Team to start with Covenant

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by transportHER, Sep 12, 2011.

1. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011
    We are now on our THIRD Reefer load.
    Things are going very well.
    We did run into the NO REEFER TRAILERs available
    issue
    after dropping a recent dry van load. But with an earnest effort,
    we found an available reefer unit within about one hour.
    Our new dispatch manager, Cindy is very competent and structured. Very much like Kim!! We really appreciate that!

We have met two other husband/wife couples now who pull for the REEFER division. Both couples have good things to say about working with this division. So far, the only down side we have found is the reefer trailer pool and the long periods of waiting to get loaded.

RECAP: Ron and I are coming up on our 1 year anniversary with Covenant Transport. It has been a challenging transition from a very scheduled desk job to the VERY unpredictable setting of an Over The Road Team driver. For us, it has been a welcome embrace to overcoming ALL the obsticles that have come before us. During our first few weeks with Dennis, our trainer, we were encouraged NOT give up until we gave OTR a good 6 months.
    I have said this before and I will say it again.
    HE WAS RIGHT!!
    [HR][/HR]OTR is in our blood and we don't want to do anything else.
    This was a good decision for us and we wouldn't change a thing!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Rocks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    That is sooooo cool! It's GREAT!!! I am in fact soooo happy for you guys! REALLY! I wish you ALLL the very best!:yes2557: Congratulations on your one year anniversary! :smt038

transportHER Thanks this.
  4. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Update on the Reefer Division...
    Learned some new things this week regarding Cold Storage Facilities.
    One of the facilities is a massive cold storage building that has trucks lined up by the dozens in an overflow lot waiting to get in to get loaded... This is where you sit until they call you to a door. This live load is a (SLC load) that's a SHIPPER LOADED & COUNTED load. Load locks on these loads are mandatory to protect the produce pallets from shifting and getting damaged in transit. These loads are checked and sealed prior to leaving through the guard gate. The temp must be set to a specific temperature setting prior to leaving and the load locks must be in place to protect the driver from being charged for OS&D (overages, shortages and damages).
    These loads are pre scheduled by dispatch.

The other type of refrigerated load is called a SHED LOAD. These loads must be scheduled by the driver. Also, this type of load requires the driver oversee the loading and make an accurate count as the live load takes place.
    A new tool is now going into our Tool Box. It is call an
    infrared thermometer. The PULP temperature must be measured in three spots as the loading takes place. The temperature is to be consistent and to the shippers specs. I learned VERY quick that on these type of loads, the driver can not sign the paperwork SLC. The rep tore up the paperwork when I signed all the sheets that way. So the count and condition must be as it states on the BOL. If there are any damages or discrepancies in the count, the driver is held responsible. So, we were sure to count and document as well as measure the pulp temp in the front, middle and rear of the load.
    We also got to meet TWO other reefer teams that pulled up at the same time. Ron and I have been proactive in introducing ourselves to other Covenant teams. It has been great to get to know these other drivers. We met Tony, a trainer on the reefer division. He was very helpful and was happy to share the information about the infrared thermometers.
    ONE other thing we learned this week is about LUMPERS. Lumper services are common in the refrigerated division. They require payment upon service rendered. We opted to pay cash to for the lumper service and submit for reimbursement by sending the proper macro. It is important to include the TAX ID of the lumper service (otherwise, I am told...the driver does not get reimbursed)
    So, We learned quite a bit this week!

until next time...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Wow sounds like a lot to learn and some additional responsibility. Are you guys still enjoying it?

I've only had to use a lumper once, and that was in training. My trainer normally paid cash, but that particular lumper service charged nearly $200 so we had to wait around for comcheck authorizations. Being only 24 pallets, I offered to grab a pallet jack & do it myself for half that, but wasn't allowed on the docks

6. transportHER

May 3, 2011

Thank you DY!! We chose to do Reeferr for the sole purpose to education. Responsibility does not play a part. We enjoy OTR, even though we ARE NOT considered "Over The Road drivers" after driving for almost
    one year OTR. Amazingly, we have pulled everything they have expected of us, including 6 &7 million dollar high security loads.

As far as I am concerned, I would never let a rookie haul THAT kind of load.

AND STILL.....
    Ron and I love the OTR life.

7. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Hey there double yellow... I didn't miss this when you posted the question. I simply wanted to wait to see if the "$750/week (each) minimum pay for teams policy" actually went into effect. When we received the QC msg about this, I had a few concerns regarding the conditions. One is that each driver must be available 24/7 to qualify. (or at least that is how I understood it) Correct me if I am wrong, but upon a 34 reset, one can not be elogging 24 in the sleeper. That is considered a false log. So going Off duty would make you unavailable. Right? Also, as a condition, each driver must do a check call every day. Of the many drivers that I have met. I do not know of any that have not missed a check call. (including me) Of course, it would be logical to conclude that if visually one could see the truck in progress via GPS, then the perception would be an available, on duty driver.
    Well I was wondering, have you been impacted by this new policy yet?

8. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Had a VERY interesting day yesterday.
    Woke up to an abandoned Covenant driver knocking on our window. Of course, I did not take him at face value right away (due to the MANY bums and transients that we encounter doing their various hustles). But after hopping out in my pajamas and asking a few pertinent questions, we were able to deduce that he was in fact a driver whose partner took off and left him in a very vulnerable situation. He was pretty fired up mad and rightfully so.
    After he calmed down, he apologized for his highly "colorful" language. We called breakdown and finally got through to dispatch. I finally got to talk to a dispatcher that I wasn't sure actually existed. And he did get the offending driver to return for his team partner. It seems that this type of offense by a driver should have some serious consequence. I plan on following up with the driver to find out if the offending driver was reprimanded. I actually asked the driver why he left his partner stranded and he said..."He took his shoes off"
    Yikes! A wee bit of an overReaction...wouldn't you say? Anyhow, I did tell this driver that he shouldn't leave his partner that way. He just laughed. I am at a loss how someone could do that.
    Anyhow, on the next post, we will talk about the illusive Upgrade.
    until next time...

Rocks Thanks this.
  9. Wego4ut

Wego4ut Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    The $700 minimum guarantee, not $750, is only for students after they get off trainer truck for 90 days. I kept the QC message and it is for ST2-1s which is what Chatt calls first phase students after upgrade off trainer truck. The student has to have hazmat. After 90 days on this program, the guarantee is off. You don't look to be eligible as ur recent post shows coming up on 1 year? Congrats!

10. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Thanks for the clarification wego4ut! And to answer Transporther, I only send check calls when I'm coming off hometime or if I've been sitting (while available to drive) for 24 hours. My dispatcher said he didnt care about getting them daily so I don't waste the time (your dispatcher may be different - if in doubt touch base next time youre in Chat)...

As for that driver being abandoned -- I'd heard similar stories in the past, but always figured they grew more exaggerated with each telling. Most Covenant employees I've sat down with seem to be good people, but I'm sure there are more than a handful out there that should be shown the door. It's got to be tough policing your workforce from a distance, but once made aware of a problem child, I hope Covenant brass acts fast to prevent such boorish behaviour from spreading.

11. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Hey DY! I've been meaning to tell you that you have such a unique way of writing. Definitely a style all your own! I like the consistant way you format.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there!:mwink:

About the check calls
    ...I have always had a concern about them...
    Ever since I put my signature on I believe it was page 33 of our orientation pack. It was called the Payroll Deduction Agreement. On that form it stated that "certain charges and/or deductions" may apply. One of which was called a check call fine.
    So I have always tried to be diligent about sending them.

Very true about the drivers... A lot of good people. In my opinion, the teaming set up is an extremely difficult setting. You have two personalities in a small living environment with many daily stresses and dangers. I personally would not choose to do it. The safety issue alone would be troubling for me. My team partner/husband is one I trust fully and have no problem sleeping while he is behind the wheel. I trust his judgement and know he would never disregard his OR my safety. I certainly know he would never abandone me at a truck stop (although I do jest about that) And so far, I haven't heard anything back from the driver who was abandoned. I hope he was able to find resolution. He came to Covenant because of the Christian overtones and was really hoping to find positive experiences... at least that is what he expressed to us.

Anyhow... this week has been challenging to say the least. We had yet ANOTHER VERY audible air leak and a nice size rock put a 1/2 inch chip right in the driver's side windshield. So once again, we called Breakdown and we were set up at a shop in Oakland CA. It took a couple of days, but the trouble began when we came back to pick up our truck. As I returned our rental car, Ron entered the truck and found that it had been ramsacked. There was no damage to the truck, so the conclusion on course is that the shop left it unlocked and vulnerable to theft. We lost about $600-$700 worth of belongings. Nothing we can not live without. It is just awful to be invaded like that. There was no damage to the truck so it was a logical conclusion that they did not lock up the truck properly while it was on their premises. We did file a police report. Had to be persistant on that. The foreman did not seem to take it too serious. So we will just write off what we lost. We were smart enough to take the things that were of true value to us.

And as of today, we have been with Covenant exactly one year. It has been an ongoing learning experience. It has made us grow stronger as a husband and wife. Being together all the time, you learn to focus on the positive. We still love the OTR life and are embracing the new things we are learning on the refrigerated division. We have an excellent dispatcher who does a great job and that does make a big difference.

And about that UPgrade... I did concede and take the upgrade for my husband. We really had no idea what it would truly be until we made it up on the hill in Chattanooga.
    Ron passed, I failed. So I am apparently still considered a student, not an OTR driver. Or at least that is the way I understand it.

But as in life, every day is a CONSTANT learning experience... So I guess I am a student!! The day I stop learning is the day I die. And even then, I'll probably still be asking questions!
    so until next time...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.