Hydrovac/Vaccum Truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by leolion93, Nov 25, 2020.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I sometimes see ads for this and wonder if it's worth it. I think there are a few that specialize in restaurant waste and sucking the stuff out of the grease trap. It sounds basic, but the Indeed comments often say it smells and when you're done you will smell.

I mean I could wear a mask or something to ward off the funky odors, but I don't like the idea of smelling like week old french fries. I don't know if the comments are whining or exaggerating.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    My neighbor does both restaurant waste and sewage. I couldn't be around that smell day after day. Must pay pretty good. The last 4-5 years his fleet went from 2 trucks to 5-6 now. Few tri axles and 3 trailers

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  4. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Ask specific questions about the work. I assisted doing vac jobs with a previous company. We did a lot of oily water separators with the liquid vac truck. Moving that stinger around to get all the sludge was no joke.
    We also had a vactor. I helped on a few jobs with that. My only hesitation with working that kind of truck was the confined space entry. Fortunately that did not come up on the jobs I assisted with.
    I thought the hydro excavation part was interesting. A way to dig without worrying about breaking pipes or cutting cables. If you get some county/state work, the pay is pretty good.
    Good luck.

5. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The badger daylighting group will no doubt do well. I am not sure what barriers to entry similar operators have, but it's pretty genius. Locating utilities becomes more and more important as things become increasingly complex and the costs of mishaps increases. They do soft digs by spraying high pressure water and vacuuming it out of the hole to locate buried utilities.

Our infrastructure needs better maintenance than it is currently getting, and it's getting older. I predict a lot of work rebuilding infrastructure literally forever. The hodge podge way it gets funded and used as political football is not working very good. The politicians particularly on the left for some reason see unemployment as an excuse to hand out money for votes rather than fund repairs of important infrastructure which creates jobs which creates skilled people who know how to maintain infrastructure.

6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    A regular vacuum truck, not a hydrovac, is used to clean grease traps.

You might smell like old French fries if you emptied the used cooking oil container, but if you cleaned the grease trap you are going to smell much, MUCH worse. That's one job I do not miss at all.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.