Hyliion aftermarket hybrid diesel electric kit

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Farmerbob1, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    https://www.hyliion.com/6x4he-solution/

Anyone driven a truck with one of these?

How does the battery hold up for heating and cooling?

If the system was added to a truck that had a driving history, how was the fuel economy impacted?

This system has attracted my attention. I am at least a year or two from a new truck, but I am strongly considering one of these in a truck with a X15 efficiency engine.

bojajoba Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If your fuel cost is about .40 per mile and you increase fuel efficiency by 10% your fuel cost is now .363. At 15% if goes to .347.
    Let's say you save .04 on the average per mile, in a perfect world. If the system costs $10,000, your break even point will be at 250,000 miles.

If if if if if .....

I don't like the idea of increasing my tare weight by 800 pounds... maybe it's different if you're always light weight. If you're light weight and seeing .40 per mile for fuel already then the savings are still not that impressive over the life of the truck.

You can only squeeze a penny so hard...

Brettj3876, Bakerman and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    It is also an APU system, and claims to be able to provide heating and cooling for an entire 10 hour rest break without needing to start the engine to recharge.

Fuel savings there would compound on the driving fuel economy.

It is something new. I am not getting starry-eyed over it, but I do hope to find people who have driven a truck with one.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I've only heard mixed reviews on those battery apu setups. If it provides cooling for 10 hours how does it provide some extra torque when you fire up in the morning? All you're really doing is converting energy from diesel into electric via alternator then using the electric to turn the wheels. Law of conservation of energy says this will only result in a loss. I am skeptical of their mileage improvement claims. I suppose one could claim most of the time the alternator is turning anyway and doing nothing most of the time. So may as well charge batteries. I would say put the alternator on a clutch so it doesn't draw any horsepower. The difference will be very small either way.

6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    The drive axle powered by motor-generator. When truck is rolling down the hill generator charging batteries. When up motor use battery to help diesel engine
    Regenerative brake - Wikipedia

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    800 pounds of weight to recapture the energy used to move the 800 pounds in the first place.
    That's a head scratcher for me...

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    It gets a lot of its power from regenerative braking. 135 horsepower electric drive axle charging those batteries every time you brake. Likely it also activates before your Jakes do too. Also on downhills, your engine is turning but doing practically nothing.

9. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    For a real comparison you will need 2 identical trucks doing the same work, one with the system the other without...
    Or, better, someone who does a dedicated run and installed the unit, for before and after real world results.

10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Agreed. But I would be happy to at least start with someone who can tell me if it works without needing service every 2000 miles.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Fair enough.
    Does the website say the cost of the system or do you know that number?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.