Hyliion aftermarket hybrid diesel electric kit

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Farmerbob1, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Do not know. I certainly wont be buying in the short term though, so pricing it wouldn't do me much good now. It is an APU system and a full rear axle replacement though. If it is less than 15 or 20k I will be amazed.

EDIT: I poked around and the fuel savings claims range from 15% to 30%. 15% from the axle. 12% from the APU part, and 3% from some ground effects around the drive tires.

The cost is, err, more than I can imagine being cost effective. 37-40k

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Reason for edit: Added info.
    gokiddogo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yeah there's no way I see that making sense. Especially with today's emission engines with shorter lives than previous counterparts.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Nothing to say that it cannot work with a older non-DEF engine. However, I suspect it needs a truck with computerized engine controls.

6. bojajoba

bojajoba Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2020
    YouTuber / Trucker Asian Mai got to ride along in a Hyliion hybrid and Hyliion ERX.

Spoilers:

Hybrid: is basically the same as a diesel truck except you save gas.

ERX: is some powerful stuff

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    so 135hp Jake brake that you can't TURN OFF in snow and ice.... what could be wrong

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    An electric drive/brake could also be controlled by the ABS system, unlike Jakes, which can only be controlled by the ABS system in computer controlled automated transmissions.

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Interesting. The video showed a text quote indicating that the hybrid kit sells for 14k.

That is a very doable number for a device that acts as both an APU and a fuel saver on the road. I will have to look at it again.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    It makes a lot of sense..... except that I have a nagging suspicion what you get for the $14K. A couple of electric motors and a battery bank -- ok, great. But how seamless is the integration with the existing drive train? I'm not qualified to do any wrenching, but find it hard to believe they can integrate easily and seamlessly regardless of drive
    train....

Currently an ECU from the factory is, what? 6 or 8 Large? so for another 6 K you get the electric motors and the complete software solution for the drive train integration? Yeah, I'm going to have to stay in the skeptical -- but interested camp.

Edited to add:

Ok the $14K number is the NET cost, after considering the "savings" in APU cost, axle delete, inverter delete and engine downgrade on a new truck. The actual cost is listed at $29 K. See the video below at 8:20.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    bojajoba Thanks this.
  11. bojajoba

bojajoba Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2020
    I think I saw in another video where the driver says you can manually override to turn off the assist system and thus have it run on full diesel

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.