Hypothetical Licensing Question...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by LateNightCable, Feb 27, 2018.

1. LateNightCable

LateNightCable Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I’m a legal resident of Florida and I’d like to obtain a CDP before signing onto to any schooling program, so naturally it would be a Florida permit.

I have close family in Salt Lake City to base with, so have strongly considered C.R. England’s campus there - despite some England reviews and their six-month teams arrangement... Which may actually be beneficial if teamed with a veteran driver.

My question is, if my permit is from Florida, my potential trainer/employer is from Utah, and I’m still a legal resident of Florida, what state would my CDL be issued from?

Thanks for any input!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i thought the way CR did it was, you use thier base as your home, get a permit there, then get your license, THEN you go back to your state, and exchange the CR state base CDL, to your state CDL.

beware, you only think, you might get a veteran CR co-driver......

ladr and jammer910Z Thank this.
  4. LateNightCable

Feb 16, 2018
    @buddyd157 I definitely wouldn’t count on a veteran co-driver, nor expect any to actually want to do that unless they were a trainer.

A YouTuber who trained at England said he showed up with his permit, and received expedited CDL training because of it (10 days). Then served the last three months of his nine-month contract as a company trainer (at a rate of around $1,500/wk.)

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Prime Inc. also has cdl school in Salt Lake City; here's direct from their website:
    Does Prime offer CDL Training?
    We offer the Prime Student Driver Program to help you earn your Class A CDL. It only costs $155 to start, and you pay nothing more as long as you drive for Prime with your CDL for one year! It is an over-the-road training program that starts with a 4-day orientation in Springfield, MO or Salt Lake City, UT.
    We cover your bus ticket to get to orientation as well as 3 meals per day and hotel stay during orientation. After orientation, you train with a CDL Instructor for 2-4 weeks with your permit. Then, you come back to take the CDL Exam.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    born&raisedintheusa and Dan.S Thank this.
  6. LateNightCable

Feb 16, 2018
    Thanks @Chinatown. that Prime has training in SLC is new to me. I figured England and Schneider were the only starters in the area, and Schneider doesn’t school. I’ll consider Prime a bit more now.

Does this suggest a 1-on-1 training experience?

7. taodnt

taodnt Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    North of Green Bay
    My $0.02 (not adjusting for inflation).....

But two questions, are you planning on remaining a Florida resident? Are you considering moving (basing with family) to Utah permanently after getting your CDL?

I ask because based on my experience I recommend you get your CDP(CLP) and get your training in the state that you want you CDL to be issued.

I was a legal resident of Florida last year but knew I would be moving to Wisconsin in a couple of months. I called Wisconsin DMV and asked about obtaining a CDL in Florida and moving to Wisconsin and they said "no problem", it's just a issuance of a license, no testing required.

I spoke with several driving schools in Wisconsin, and they all said the same thing, if I got a Florida CLP (Commercial Learners Permit) that I would have to return to Florida to take the test and get my CDL in Florida.

I decided to wait to get to Wisconsin before getting my CLP, and then I went to school. Full disclosure, I hosed the offset backing test by putting the ICC bumper over the invisible sideline. The tester allowed me to do the 90 anyway (I am sure for practice, and I did succeed) but he failed me. I had a week's cleanup in Florida and then returned to practice backing. However it wasn't until the day of my retest (over another week later due to scheduling the examiner ) that I went back on the road. Holy crap!!! It was if I had forgotten everything (almost). My instructor (with the patience of a saint) gave me 4 hours of road time as I stopped missing gears and continued to miss (barely) curbs and signs (the things you really want to miss, you forget quickly what that extra 53 feet of vehicle on the back does going around corners). After a while I was "back in the saddle" and confident, aced the backing and passed the road test with a couple of comments about not looking to the right more often as I made left turns....

I explain this too you, because had I gone the route of getting a CLP in Florida and training in Wisconsin I would have had to first go back to Florida to take the test, return to Wisconsin for more training, and then return to Florida to retake the test. Your "free" training would not be so free if you have a similar experience.

My instructor bragged how he had a 100% success rate with students getting their CDL, and I told him after my test that his record was intact. But he told me and the two others in my class that he had one student that failed the pre-trip in cab inspection twice because he forgot how to test the brakes properly.

Thanks for listening.

taodnt

teaching an old dog new tricks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  8. LateNightCable

Feb 16, 2018
    @taodnt thank you for sharing your experience on your two state experience. I don’t intend to remain a Florida resident, in fact I’ve wondered if it would be simpler just to transfer residency to Utah.

I’ll have to look into Utah law regarding out of state permits/licensing, as I’m leaning towards a company school out of Florida... A lot of independent schools in Florida just seem questionable to me.

Fortunately, I’ve had extensive box truck experience over the last couple years, so keeping track of my tail end has become second nature.

9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    so that means, he had a whopping 6 months of experience, and he was a trainer?

(actually, i knew that crap happens). to me, that's the blind leading the blind.

in my years of being out there, there was a time when a trainer had to have at the very least 5 years experience, some companies needed 10 years, before someone became a trainer.

i just don't know what you will learn from a 6 month "experienced" trainer, over a multi-year experienced trainer.

then these companies wonder why, their crash stats are so darned high......

i wish you all the best.

10. LateNightCable

Feb 16, 2018
    I suppose nothing but the basics necessary to pass, which from my understanding is what most schools are about. But it is reflective of the training mill environment that driver shortages have brought about. Why there are shortages is another matter.

The possible rationale behind making a novice into an educator could be that the experience (may) encourage a novice trainer to develop a greater command of the information he is teaching.

That same concept of teaching what you know, even if you’re not an expert is why in the world of aviation, an instructor rating is standard practice towards a private pilot obtaining commercial certification. Even if that same instructor was a student himself a year ago.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  11. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    there is NO rational from those who do not know, what they teach.

do not compare apples to oranges and responsibilities. one is flying in the air, one is driving on the ground.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.