I’m a dispatcher, AMA! (Not a dispatch service)

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by michigantruckerb, Dec 9, 2018.

1. michigantruckerb

michigantruckerb Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Hi, I’m liking this forum. Long time reader. Used to drive before for 8,but went to dispatch due to family life.

I don’t do “dispatch service”, I work for a carrier, and I will not share or recommend any carriers, including the one I work for.

However, if you’re a company driver, broker, or owner operator feel free to ask me anything that might help you.

I deal with over 100 phones calls a day with brokers, and am responsible for a fleet of 40ish O/O currently. I book reefer, dryvan, and hazmat freight.

Any questions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Why do brokers skim off the fuel surcharge off a rate from a customer.? Then skim off the rate to a truck to deliver the load?

Asking for a friend

fss99701, shogun and whoopNride Thank this.
  4. michigantruckerb

Oct 6, 2018
    They don’t skim. They pay a truck on the spot market that the truck is asking for. Contract rates are different. FSC was designed to help with contract rates for carrier Incase fuel goes up or down, it protects both parties. Some brokers put a “FSC” in the rate you asked for, cause they treat themselves as a carriers customer which they really are.

TallJoe and PPDCT Thank this.
  5. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    [​IMG]

fss99701 and Muddydog79 Thank this.
  6. Sorry but with just one of the many I have dealt with.

A customer who talked with a broker to get a product delivered was quoted $3000. Once this was established with the broker. The broker posted it on the load board for $1200.

I know this customer he is a direct shipper for me. I asked the exact details of the agreement with the broker.

I explained to the direct shipper that it would cost a trucking company at least $2000. For the trucking company to do the said load for a modest $2.00/mile.

So where do you see this as not skimming by a broker. I could see him charging an extra $500.-$1000. For his services but taking an additional $800. From the truck is just greedy.
    Even if this took 1 day or 6 days. To arrange a load to ship and find a truck. That is not chicken feed if a broker gets $1000. From one truck/ load.

You deal with more than one a week for sure.

What ever happen to being honest and trustworthy with good customer service.

I'm not saying you have done this, but way to many have and do it to this day.

Muddydog79, Lite bug and Shadow3829 Thank this.
  7. michigantruckerb

Oct 6, 2018
    Well, a broker can quote a customer $10,000 on 20 miles with a FSC of $2000, but if a truck settles for $450 bucks, that’s the trucks fault.

I see a lot of brokers that keep lowering prices down by even $25. This is what makes me angry during my week. 70% of my loads are from direct customer or brokers I’ve worked with for years and years. Dry vans AVG $2.60/mile now all miles and reefer is at $3.45/mile.

But the 30% of spot market rates by the type of brokers you mention is the loads I don’t even wish to negotiate anymore due to their greed. Instead I write their names and numbers down, and when the market changes I quote them more than they will ever quote a customer. It’s different when I do it than a regular owner operator because I’m in control of 90ish trucks. (All trucks together combined with other dispatch manager and dispatchers).

Heck, other day a customer offered a load from Dallas, TX to Monette, AR.

I believe it was around 350 miles (can be wrong, but close), anyway the customer wants to be AROUND $1500, but I seen 3 diff brokers posting it for $1,000, $900, and $850.

Needles to say I didn’t have a truck for it in the area, however yes I see the greed, and it is frustrating when most owner operators don’t make as much money as people think due to overhead costs, and this isn’t adding time spent on the road and extra work you have to perform besides just driving, while a broker can sit in his office and laugh later and think he is smart. I fully understand you.

Dino soar, Muddydog79 and 062 Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sunrise in a few hours. You audit your trucks fleet wide against miles remaining and a fleet qouta.

You find that Sam is running late today. What do you do with Sam? And why?

9. michigantruckerb

Oct 6, 2018
    Update the customers, if they’re are ok with it, great, if not, he waits. Things happen on the road and a truck can be late for many reasons. Arguing with drivers why they are late is pointless. Truck is late, best we can do is update customers and go from there.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    So if Sam is late, would you bother to tell Sam that Customers will get that box when they get it? And that everything is cool? Or would you withhold the information from Sam?

That leads me to another question, how much do you value Sam? Some of your thoughts indicate not very much. If a driver is late for a valid reason such as changing a burnt alternator, then all is well right?

The reason I am exploring this subject is because some of the worst situations ever with dispatch is tied to late loads.

michigantruckerb Thanks this.
  11. I appreciate your honesty in your post, we look for this in a lot of brokers. Glad your one of the few with standards.

michigantruckerb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.