I’m not experienced but....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Slim51, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I’ve learned a lot the last few months. One humbling experience after another, today being no different.

I was heading south on 95 in Southern CT, doing my thing, and keeping the sun in mind since It was in my eyes at times and close to sunset. As I approached a right hand turn that was going to face southbound traffic in the western direction, I made a mental note and put my visor down and slid my shades over my face before I was directly facing the sun. Well evidently not everyone anticipated the potentially blinding sun, which of course became my problem. Being inexperienced, I wasn’t anticipating others LACK of anticipation and ended up having a close call when traffic just seemed to stop in front of me. On top of this I wasn’t able to aim very high in vision due to an overpass and the way the road was sloped on that turn. My trailer tires locked up and everything. Luckily I stayed straight, and thank the big man up high that I had a reasonable following distance.

Long story short; Plan for others lack of anticipation in situations where you see a potential problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    What seems like a "shortsight, and inexperience" on your part.. was just the opposite.

It was close.

The little knowledge you've gained so far you USED and it saved you.
    Had you not done exactly as you did, someone would have been hurt and you'd most likely be out a job.

Remember it. Learn from it.
    We ALL have close calls that we avoid because of some little thing we did because we noticed something.

That's exactly what happened here.

Could you gave done better?
    Certainly. You got better today.

4. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    That’s how I’m looking at it. Thanks for the kind words. I feel like I learned a huge lesson in that experience, hence why I felt the need to share

5. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I wanted to give you kind words first.. because you DID avoid an accident using foresight.
    There will be some on this forum that will blast you for not doing this, or that... and they'll be partly correct... but they're also guilty at some point of the same shortcomings.

Just use it to build your foundation as an experienced, safe operator.

Trust that gut

Bob Dobalina, HotH2o, MACK E-6 and 6 others Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Good judgement comes from bad experience .

7. Peterbilt605

Peterbilt605 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2018
    In this business the biggest or smallest experience you have is all learning and will be useful tools that you will always have for future situations! The learning never stops out here but will make you a better driver!!! I have 20+ yrs out here and still learn stuff

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I generally try to stay ahead of people mentally when driving something.

Just the other day I had a older gentleman fail a turn left into a tobacco store lot. Ditches threatened to eat his car, his right steer was hanging over it. His head was swiveling around and big eyes... what do I do now kind of face on him.

He blocked oncoming traffic to me. I am coming on.

At that moment I said "Don't you back up...." and my foot was already moving to the brake pedal as I started stage two calculating pathways I must take to avoid hitting. In short I already was in battle not to get into a accident long before he even moved backwards. And boom he did move back quick.

My ex who teamed with me on the big road with a semi has long learned since day one that when I start talking like that to nothing in particular and particulary the focus of the developing problem child... She knows what's fixing to go down and works off that really quickly.

Once i start seeing something coming on.. Im already working out what has to be done mentally really fast. There is literally no time to think sometimes. I just do. And for that the vehicle, whatever it is even a horse (Even better....) has to be part of me.

And it resolves itself. usually.

Sometimes not quite the way I like it to and there develops a story for future telling.

Streetroddreams and jammer910Z Thank this.
  9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    you say your an inexperienced driver.

did you mean CDL driver or new to driving anything?

that kind of situation is one you come across whether CDL or 4 wheeler driving.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I’ve been driving cars legally since I was 15. So 8 years legal in a car, inexperienced as a cdl holder

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    And your absolutely right. I’m not sure how long it’s been since you were a new cdl driver, but you may be forgetting how differently you see everything once you are in a semi. With that said, I didn’t pay attention so much to things like smith system keys, or the sun in this case. I was the unanticipating driver until I got in one of these.

jammer910Z and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.