I-40 Memphis to Little Rock

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Infosaur, May 12, 2018.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Got a call from another driver at my company who's about a day ahead of me on a run to Texas.

Said I-40 is a parking lot.
    Drivers are out of their rigs and playing shuffleboard in the median.

He was about 6 hours ahead of me and I'd have closed the gap, if I wasn't stopping in Nashville for the night to have dinner with family.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    As of 19:00 Saturday
    Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 7.05.40 PM.png

It's good to be out in Idaho where it's cool, overcast and the traffic is sensible and generally the people don't drive like morons.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You'll have that in this business. I stopped for coffee and take a leak at the Love's in Albuquerque once, cause I planned on going on to Grants. That 15 or 20 minutes gave a FedEx truck enough time to cross the median and kill a few people a few hundred yards in front of me at the top of the hill by the other Love's.

4 hour delay.

So never stop to get comfortable. Just hammer down.

Lav-25 and Opus Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    During peak periods, that entire section is one 100 mile-long cluster of tightly packed trucks. You can't speed your way out of it and you can't slow your way out of it. You're just caught up in the high-speed truck-traffic jam for the duration. Keep two hands on the wheel at all times, say two Hail Mary's, keep eyes scanning far ahead as far as you can see around the truck that pulled 40 feet in from of you every minute or so, @ 1 mph faster than you, and hope for the best is all you can do

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Lav-25 Thanks this.
  6. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Exit 260 is where the Petro is in Earle, AR. When a truck leaves the Petro to go west, it is a tight, brake checking affair. Most of the locals ignore the work zone speed limit through there. Then down the road you have those S curves in the construction. Plenty of Mothers Day Weekend traffic to add to the traffic load. You can't be too careful through there.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Infosaur

Originally the plan was to go through early in the morning.

But I stopped to visit a sick relative outside of Nashville and by the time I got to the T/A it was full. Not only that but I had to log the trip from where I stopped to see my uncle to the truckstop. If I still had paper, I could write off that detour and leave at 4am.

So I kept rolling in the dark and I'm somewhere between Nashville & Memphis and I can't leave until 8 am or so.

We'll see what Arkansas looks like tomorrow, maybe I'll just bail on it right away.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Reason for edit: dangit spellcheck!
    Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  8. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    I took a detour up 55 to 555 to hyw 14 across to us 67. It was a hell of a detour but at least i wasn’t sitting in the backup.

9. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Yeah its terrible. I dont get anxious very often because i use the 2 lane highways around here alot. But every time i have to use that stretch of interstate i get on edge. White knuckle racing on Arkadega speedway, first one to the Rock/Memphis wins!

10. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Yeah its terrible. I dont get anxious very often because i use the 2 lane highways around here alot. But every time i have to use that stretch of interstate i get on edge. White knuckle racing on Arkadega speedway, first one to the Rock/Memphis wins!

11. Infosaur

It was okay today.

What did I win?
    Half the pumps at Petro were down, and half of Pam's fleet were at the other one. SHEESH!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.