I-80, W. Wyoming, what causes accidents in this stretch?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by striker, Oct 6, 2018.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    What is it about this stretch of road that causes so many accidents and problems? I drive 80 east of Cheyenne, sometimes 4 days a week. Rarely do I go west of Cheyenne. However, this past week when I went 80 west to Rock Springs, both days, westbound and eastbound, I saw more stupidity than I thought possible. Drivers being cutoff, no one paying attention to speed differentials when passing, multiple trucks trying to pass at the same time (almost caused a 6 vehicle pile up climbing Sherman EB). Because of the weather, Wyoming had all the variable signs set at either 70 or 75 mph. Having a 77 mph truck, I spent most of my time in the left lane passing everyone, but it was amazing the number of times I had much slower trucks decide at the last minute to jump out in front of me. Or they'd pass a truck that was even slower than them, and then hang out in the left lane for a few more miles before deciding to get over.

By the time I got back, I no longer found it odd the number of truck accident text alerts I get from Wyoming.

alds, stwik, Lepton1 and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Of course the 60+ mph wind isn’t a factor to the accidents....

Western flyer Thanks this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    They just got off of 25 or 287 out of Colorado and are frazzled, found some open space and decided to occupy it.

Dave_in_AZ, 86scotty and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I was in sitting in Rock Srpings when you went through. I hear it alot on the CB. People whipping out in front of people at the last minute, with no signal, or not looking in their mirrors. Every 45 minutes. There were three truck accidents in that area around that time. One EB that just went of the road around the 104 for no apparent reason...

It's a main artery to points west, even viable for Portland/Seattle.

No wonder they just shut it completely down for acciden't in the winter. they don't dare open it until it's safe to use cruise control. :tard:

Dave_in_AZ and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Greetings....
    I've been driving Thru that area since 1997........I found out by "Trial and Error" that the best way to go about it is..
    Establish a 5 miles under the speed limit cruise control Speed.
    Turn Off the CB radio.
    Raise the volume of your Radio...and listen to AC/DC or what ever your Flavor.
    and Do some Sightseeing.
    (Don't let the drivers around You...determine your Lever of Stress)

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That's the common manners of todays current truckers. It's not just in Wyoming. Gone are the days are courteous drivers with brains.

8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Honestly i have found being a slower truck does decrease your stress levels. On the East Coast i find myself more often than not running 60-62mph on cruise. It seems like it do that or your in the left running 75-80mph and yelling at traffic.

dan31186, austinmike and KB3MMX Thank this.
  9. IMG_20181006_163909.jpg

Learn to respect the wind In. Wyoming.if you see skateboards or OD/OS parked do the same. Don't listen to dispatcher,he is not driving your truck.

10. Rn8806

Rn8806 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Highway to hell full blast

86scotty, KB3MMX and River9601 Thank this.
  11. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Hell Wyoming is so bad the freight train crashed by the 145mm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.