I.84 merge and crash into shoulder parker

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by takeheed777, Sep 14, 2022.

1. takeheed777

takeheed777 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Semi-truck crash on I-84 blocks traffic for over four hours | ktvb.com

Another classic merge accident involves truck driver concentrated on the merge traffic in his mirror while missing the parked rig ahead. It happens. Well...

The attorneys will ask and discover, why was that rig parked on shoulder. Was it legally parked? Does it matter?

A werner truck was traveling West thru Odessa TX. on electronic logs- was legal and operating under posted speed limit. That day It was ice and snow. A car with mom driving and 2 kids were traveling opposite direction on interstate heading East. The mom lost control, skidded thru the median, crashed into Werner with tragic results. The Werner driver maintained control, stopped, went back and rendered aid and assistance to the victims. Terrible accident. Right?

One would think Werner was in the right, right?

The attorneys argued the Werner driver should not have been at that location due to weather and won the case.

The award was 60 million for the plaintiffs. No word on the trucker.

Any concern or pay for the trucker? No. What about insurance rates for the industry? Precedent set.

What do you suppose results in all these daily shoulder parking tragedies
    where there is actual fault?

Time, money, loss, prison sentences are all on the table for shoulder parking stupidity.

Don't do it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Im waiting for some drunk driver to plow through a barrier into a parked semi at a big chain truckstop and the trucker loses a "shouldnt have been there" lawsuit

4. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Your description isn’t what I want read in article?? Unless I’m mistaken the shoulder truck pulled out in front of the other semi causing a huge crash . Also the mom was a passenger in the Werner crash but sued Werner because her driver didn’t have money. Didn’t appeal court overturn the verdict?

5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    5EB85257-37F7-4306-930A-ECE62E267A5C.gif

Kyle G., nikmirbre and Coover Thank this.
  6. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    We are just sitting ducks.

7. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Just like being married . . . it's always my fault

sevenmph and Kyle G. Thank this.
  8. takeheed777

takeheed777 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Yes, parking on shoulders are hazard enough, but then when the same idiots who parked, then jump into oncoming traffic, it's a whole new hazard. Point remains the same. Shoulder Parking is wreaking havoc. Don't do it.

Coprende' ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.