"I am interested in starting a trucking business."

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Jun 22, 2019.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    "Hi. I am interested in getting into trucking. I have a degree in business, and have worked in an office for 30 years. I want to buy a truck and make lots of money. I see trucks for sale all the time for $20000. I can buy one in cash. But I need help in getting started. Any suggestions?"

"Hi. I am interested in owning a restaurant. I have a degree in business, and have worked in an office for 30 years. I want to open my own restaurant and make lots of money. I see buildings and locations for sale all the time. I can find one easily. But I need help in getting started. Any suggestions?

The correct answer in any other venture would be to go out and learn from someone else. But because we are "just driving" everyone feels the need to skip the first part. It's not just driving. It's business whether you own the truck or not. What kind of things do drivers learn in their first year of driving?

What difference would one year as a company driver make vs someone who's never been in a truck? 1 year in a truck, running 48, you will have a good idea about the regs, the truck and your limitations. In fact, the questions that a 1 year company driver would have about being an owner operator would be COMPLETELY different. He's already seen the regs (the HOS and all the legal stuff that you have to know) in action. He's been in places with the truck that were extreme, be it traffic, the terrain or the weather. No amount of car travel qualifies as trucking experience. That 300 mile drive to grandma's house doesn't mean anything.

Most importantly, he will know about himself. See all the crying and bellyaching and negativity in these posts?
    See all the 400lb drivers? No, they didn't start off at 400 lbs. You may think that owner operators can do what they want and run when and where they want, but understand this: An owner operator can't go home until the bills are paid.

Yeah I know...your case is different, you're not a loser like those guys that had to sign up and drive for a mega to get his foot in the door. You have a degree. Had a friend call me yesterday to help a friend of his. Conference call. This guy was new owner op, dry van. grabbed a power only load off a load board for what he thought at the time was a great rate. Specialized trailer. east coast run. He was 90000lbs GVW. 1 day run turned into 3 days. Trying to explain to a person what he needs to do is a nearly impossible task over the phone.

It's "just driving", right? Go drive someone else's truck for a year and then we'll talk.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    What do you mean learn stuff? Work for someone else?! I drove a box truck once I got this. Anyway you guys could help me out learning big money lanes though?

InTooDeep, Coffey, csmith1281 and 9 others Thank this.
  4. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    People have the right to fail. So let them fail.

“It's often said that more than half of new businesses fail during the first year. According to the Small Business Association (SBA), this isn't necessarily true. The SBA states that only 30% of new businesses fail during the first two years of being open, 50% during the first five years and 66% during the first 10.”

I think it’s better to be a driver first then think outside of the box. I always use 1 800 got junk as an example because it’s truly a good example.

The owner of got junk saw a lack of service in society. Garbage companies provided a service when it comes to waste but they could not take oversized junk such as pianos and big dressers. So the guy bought a truck, went around taking people’s oversized junk and charged them for it. Fast forward today, the company has like what? 10,000 trucks?

I always tell newbies. Think outside of the box. We don’t need another Swift or another super trucker. The day someone makes the technology so that semi trucks can FLY will be the day that person will be the first trillionaire.

Coffey, csmith1281, jamespmack and 3 others Thank this.
  5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Hi im calling about your cape cod to houston for $2600. Oh its tarped, 9 stops, requires i download your tracking software and have a twic card?

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    @TripleSix while i agree with you i do think there is also the exception to the rule. I bought my first truck before i was even 18. Hauled my first load just a few days after my 18th birthday. I'm still doing it 24 years later, and while it was definately not easy those first few years, owning trucks has provided a #### good life for me and my family.

I read something you said once that applies here. There are those that do, and those that try. If someone pulls up in a white van and grabs your daughter, do you try to stop them or do you stop them.

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Another day another grest triple six post. I think trip six should write the official trucking bible

InTooDeep, Coffey, jamespmack and 7 others Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Every endeavor will have roadblocks and challenges to be overcome. Some people come in asking about setting up a business, some people just need advice on getting past the roadblock. Completely different conversations.

9. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    You could drive for a company for 30 years and not make it 1 year running your own truck. Experience is a minor factor in operating your own company.

10. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I almost finished an associates degree in "entrepreneurship" decades ago but dropped out in disgust when i realized none of the "professors" except one had any actual business experience and were only teaching how to be another cog in a corporate wheel. I had a business and school was holding me back from it so i quit.

Anyhow.. The one professor with gems of real wisdom was an original founder of jiffy lube and the only thing that stuck with me all this time was a quip he made one day. I paid like $15 grand for this nugget and commuted a few years downtown to get it so pay attention now... Ya ready?

"Youll know how it feels to be an entreprenuer when friday rolls around and youre handing out payroll with cash advances from your visa card."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.