i am very much worried about the future of the dairy industry

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Apr 4, 2020.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I will say that what I saw in the 70s and 80s concerning the treatment of slaughter cows was inhumane...especially downers , cancer eye and prolapsed cow's.
    It was disgusting!
    I think it's gotten better with the humane slaughter act tho .
    Fact is tho that whether its fats, feeders , slaughter cows or bulls these animals are part of a business and not pets .
    ...part of the food chain .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    that's the case at some larger farms I imagine but I am picking up what is left of the smaller family dairy farms. harkins makes 25K lbs a day, so not tiny but not massive either. my next largest farm is bowmans, 42K lbs per day. the rest of are all smaller farms..... some bi-daily stops.

201, bzinger and Coffey Thank this.
  4. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I'll agree, commercial conglomerate milk operations are horrible. The place we used to get our milk from, when I was a kid, was different, though. Small operation, the cows roamed free, the farmer knew each and every cow (almost) intimately. We would occasionally turn up with our empty jugs right about the time he was getting ready to milk them.

It was odd to see they had a 'leader' and she would bring the herd to the barn at the same time, morning and night, and they would all line up at the door in order - leader first - and wait their turns. No whips, prods or coercion of any sort, just cows waiting patiently to be relieved of their burdens. After milking, they'd just wander a bit from the barn and wait for everyone to be done. When the rounds were complete, they'd do what cows do and roam the pasture for 10.5hrs or so.....

The family farms aren't the ones guilty of abuse. The mega farms, like mega trucking companies, treat their only commodity like dirt.

5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Kemp's unfit milk goes to hogs in southern Minnesota.

clausland Thanks this.
  6. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    As long as I'm alive and kicking,there will always be a demand for milk.

Drink a quart a day,I buy the cheap 1% from walmart,the only thing that comes close imo is Borden.

7. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    The guys at harkins says an abused animal is a stressed animal and does not produce the best quality milk or the most milk possible. They have two back rubbing machines for the cows. It's a big brush the cows can willing rub against. They say the cows love it.

Too bad they don't all operate like this farm. There herd size is around 180 head.

G13Tomcat, HoneyBadger67 and Coffey Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I just want to apologize to clausland and ad356, and any other farmer here. I'm a city boy, born and raised, spent the 2nd half of my life in the country. The farms I worked on, great people, but I made it clear from the get go, no animals, no crap. I was a driver/equipment operator and mechanic, and you kind of get used to it.. It's a low stress, peaceful job, and a welcome change from busy America. I think farmers have one of the lowest divorce rates, unlike truckers, the highest. Farmers get the worst rap, weather, economy, finding help, equipment costs, it's a tough job, the toughest, probably. I'm not a vegetarian, but could be, still like a good steak, and farming is responsible for so many things besides milk, we couldn't live without them. And ALL animals disgust me, not just farm animals. A tip of the hat to our farmers, especially now.:thumbup:

9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I used to haul off Fair Oaks in Indiana weekly. 31000 Cows in 5 separate milking stations. The automation and conditioning of the animals was something too see.
    I will say the orderliness and cleanliness of the farm and barns and milking rooms was admirable .

clausland and Coffey Thank this.
  10. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My wife's cousin drives for another milk hauler. He's dumping 115k lbs down the drain today.

G13Tomcat and Coffey Thank this.
  11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    The milk dumping was on the news. It is the schools and eateries side of things that is causing the dumping. Because those are packaged up in bulk. But on the consumer side of things they are in high demand. The issue is it takes time to switch over to individual packaging vs the bulk packaging. They also, which I suspect isn't true, were saying they didn't have enough drivers to move the milk. So the milk being dumped isn't what would come to us. But what would be sent to schools, or used to cook in eateries.

Roberts450 and Coffey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.