i am very much worried about the future of the dairy industry

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Apr 4, 2020.

1. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    maybe the "milk it does a body good " saying isn't as effective as it used to be. lets face it, drinking another animals milk probably isn't such a great idea, i guess if they say "you are what you eat" then its no surprise most people look more like cows or pigs than human beings lol

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TugHillRider

TugHillRider Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    The Tug Hill Plateau. My favorite area in NY.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We do something like that here. We have two buyer's clubs that buy steers from us every year. One club is members of the Rotary and the other is a bunch of people from the hospital where my wife worked.
    It's not a huge operation, I usually sell ten steers between the two groups. The price is figured off the weekly livestock sales for our area.
    They come out here, pick the one they want and Ill grain or corn it for however long they want. A licensed mobile butcher does the killing and his brother does the hanging, cutting, and wrapping at his shop.
    They don't really save a huge amount of money but they get beef that isn't pumped full of hot feed and growth hormones. We're not organic because we use fertilizer on the pastures but we qualify as grass fed.
    If I wanted to hustle...and at 73 I don't really want to...I could probably build the business up to something good sized. The demand is definitely there.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  5. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    @REO6205 the demand is already there and most of the masses haven't even figured out how badly things need to change... I hope it grows. CSAs and more farmers markets. More people understanding that local, organic or otherwise, is important for a million reasons, including food safety, food security as in being able to get your hands on it, keeping your community intact, the eaters and the growers.
    We've gotten so off track...

REO6205 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.