I BE TRUCKING AGAIN.....SORT OF

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mike5511, Dec 28, 2019.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Yer gonna be in the 15000 lb range though....Splittin the top would be easier plus you can ctrl rpm a lil more which in the long run either spends or saves your retirement funds..
    Keep me posted,love to know just for my own benifit..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I would have preferred a 13 speed.

4. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    13 with around a 355 rears on small rubber..Perfect for pulling,mpg and handleing..Well depending on the roads how your toy hauler is loaded ect ect..
    I often thought that if i won the lottery i would buy a classic styled star car with a 60 series,geared as above..Loaded with lights,lotsa hotel type power,big assed radio,thumpin stereo with a huge bunk...Behind me would be a 48' fully decked out to live in with a cpl sport bikes and a roof that raises up allowing for an up and down stairs liveing..Keep the top as a party area..
    Big time over kill but hey how else does a trucker wanna spend some of his lottery millions lol..

5. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'm planning on heading west later this year. I'll sure enough know what I need after that trip.

6. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I don't see how you can go wrong with your plan, Mike. Sure, there can be mechanical issues with anything mechanical, but your setup minimizes any problems. That tractor will have an easy job to do. It will feel like it's been put out to pasture with the only requirement to run for a little exercise once in a while. Compare that to some of the poor lil ole pickups at maximum effort trying to tote their maximum loads up the grades. Your rig is on Easy Street.

I've been towing with a '96 7.3L Ford diesel for the past 25 years. It does a great job, but I don't tax it too hard with only a 27-foot 6K trailer to pull. I chose a light trailer because I don't have a truck like yours. Ain't got near the living room either. But my trips usually are a week or less at a time.

To make this CB related: I use a 62-inch mag mount Wilson 1000 stuck in the middle of my F250 roof with a little Cobra 19 or a Midland 1001Z to feed it. The combos work good all over the place for me. What you got planned for yours?

mike5511 Thanks this.
  7. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    This truck has been toting an RV since 2002. It's forgotten what a real load is like. I haven't made up my mind on radios yet. Normally my trucking radio was a Connex 3300HP. But I might install one with SSB for those times I'm sitting around the campground with nothing to do. I'm sure I'll have a little "fire in the wire", RM Italy 300 or Texas Star 500. I need to do some measuring to figure out an antenna. It will be as tall as I can get by with. I really don't know why I'll go to all the trouble for no more folks than are on the band anymore, but I got the stuff already, might as well use it. I could rig up a portable Antron on a pole for those times when stationary.......(have the fun is getting a good station working properly!)

rabbiporkchop and Meteorgray Thank this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Assuming there is no corrosion anywhere it should work fine.
    All bets are off if it's been exposed to salt.

mike5511 Thanks this.
  9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Height wise a ant will be beautyful on a mirror bracket....
    Like rabbi said about corrosion but that can be cleaned and lotsa braided straps for bonding will certainly help..Being a 98 there should be tons more metal in that than anythin within the past 10-15 yrs

mike5511 Thanks this.
  10. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'm not new to cleaning up grounds and running bonding straps, and I have an old analyzer that about half works. I figured on trying the driver's door mirror, hopefully with a 5ft, at least, antenna of some flavor out of my collection.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.