I believe the small trucking companies are facing the end

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by Kansas City Long Hauler, Jun 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kansas City Long Hauler

Kansas City Long Hauler Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2022
    I really hate to have to go to work for a mega carrier I've always worked for a small mom and pop company, but I've been unemployed for 2 months and can't seem to find one in the Kansas City Missouri area.... I have never seen the economy this bad in my lifetime, I'm trying to sell all my personal belongings and move out of Missouri... If anybody knows of a company that is looking for a good truck driver with 32 years experience and no tickets and accidents please send them to this post

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    I tend to see small carriers on Craigslist and both small and megas on indeed.
    The megas have a lot dedicated runs out of KC. Check out Crete. The have a 4 days on 3 days off out of KC 95% drop and hook I was thinking about if you can take a nanny company.

4. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    It all depends upon how they are set up to face challenging times. We're small-ish (75 sleeper trucks, 20 day cabs, and 15 spot/shag trucks), but have been actively preparing for this day for the past decade. We haul food products in reefers, have spec'ed the trucks to get 8.5-9 mpg at 78,000, and kept debt out of the picture.

Old-timers have taken notice, and we've gotten a lot of unsolicited applications in the past few weeks from drivers from 55-80 years old who have seen the writing on the wall at their current employers. We're at the point that we're taking the older 2018s from our part-time drivers that slip-seat, detailing them, and sending them out with full time drivers. We can hardly wait for our 4 replacement trucks that were supposed to be here in March to come in (new ETA: August), just so we can plus up our fleet closer to normal size, as we're currently short 9 trucks (4 trade-ins, 1 in subrogation after tow company damage, 1 was in a shop when the shop burned down, and 3 that were involved in collisions over the past winter that can't get parts (cab panels and re-cabs are all backordered).

But as I said before, we aren't based in Missouri, and we run the Midwest, rarely Florida. We just assigned out our last 2021 available (a driver likes the older trucks and volunteered to get in a 2018 when given the chance so his became available) to a driver who, ironically, is coming in today from Kansas City. We're good, we pay fair, we get drivers home when they need to be home, we don't play games with paychecks, routing, or fueling, and we don't babysit. That's why we have such a low turnover rate and about half of our drivers have been here over a decade.

48Packard Thanks this.
  5. MTI Transportation

MTI Transportation Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2021
    We are currently looking to hire OTR drivers. All of our drivers are getting into 2022's and are getting over 3000 miles. We currently have around 40 trucks on the road and run mainly Midwest, South, and Southeast. All based on drivers preference, you don't want to go to X state/region, we won't send you to X state/region. Give me a call at (210) 627-8275 or an email at Spencer@mtitransportation.com

6. Kansas City Long Hauler

Kansas City Long Hauler Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2022
    In Kansas City Missouri and all the surrounding cities in Missouri there are no small companies looking for a driver, its all mega carriers... I worked for a mega carrier before and they treat you like absolute dirt, it took almost 3 weeks to get my first check, they ran me down to the very last minute on hours for the week, they don't care about your home time, they would keep you out forever if they could.... I'm just tired of fighting with kid dispatchers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.