I Came Across A Very Desperate Individual

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by born&raisedintheusa, Feb 24, 2017.

1. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I came across a very desperate individual who is going to orientation for his 1st. truck driving job, would NOT say what company he was working for. He also would NOT tell me where the trucking company is located at. He went to truck driving school on a grant.

From what this individual told me, his starting pay is 28 cents a mile, (loaded miles only), no deadhead miles, no detention pay, no layover pay, and no breakdown pay, along with per diem of 3 cents per mile. Benefits are flimsy at best.

His background is that of long bouts of unemployment along with being a convicted felon. His driving record is clean. He is also free of alcohol and drugs, does chew tobacco.

I have tried to get him to get onto the forum. Problem is that he does NOT have a computer. He also does NOT own a car. He gets around on a bicycle.

I TRULY and GENUINELY HOPE this individual will make it through his 1st. company and go onto a better job.

I also wished him a WORLD OF LUCK on everything!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
    Thull, thejackal, SHOJim and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^^ You're a good man, @mje .... not many of us left. Think it's Carolina Cargo or WEL ? Maybe you could reach out to him there.... eventually.

4. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010

5. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don't really get your post.Sounds like a healthy person who is able to work.Maybe not the greatest job but even the best truck driving job is not the greatest There are those who can't work there are children fighting for there lives literally.Sorry don't see how he's in a desperate situation

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    if he works hard and keeps his nose clean he will not be desperate for long.

tscottme, Ooops, Shock Therapy and 2 others Thank this.
  7. RollingRecaps

RollingRecaps Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2016
    His pay is terrible, but this industry is perfect for the homeless. Lots of homeless truckers out here that don't own a car or have a stick and brick house.. Hope he can move on to a better company after he gains some experience.

8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Maybe this gent is one of those people that HAS kids fighting for their lives, thru his inability to provide. One never knows another's whole story. Kudos to him, for trying. Low pay is better than 'no pay' and at least he's putting a foot forward.
    Desperation is in the eyes of the person experiencing it, not in the eyes of the beholder.
    Be safe, guys.

9. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I hope he does well

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    That pretty much explains it he probably had no other options with a criminal record, people are so harsh on con's these days.

Suspect Zero and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^ agree.. but I prefer the term "ex-cons" personally. A few good men have gone down for stupid ####..... that marred them for almost ever.

Ooops Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.