I can’t find driver s !

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Western fleet owner, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Western fleet owner

Western fleet owner Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2020
    As an owner operator who has multiple trucks leased on with a carrier. I’m having a hard time finding good drivers , I treat my drivers like my brother a. I’ve got 5 guys that have been with me for 8 plus years. But for my other trucks it’s hard to find driver s. I’m not paying a driver 0.60 cents a mile for dry van work That maybe the rate in Ontario but not in Winnipeg or western Canada. I pay my drivers 0.55 cents a mile on payroll And whenever a driver calls me , after seeing my ad they want more than 60 cents a mile !!! R u kidding me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So by your own admission you aren't paying the going rate...
    The world is so full of mysteries, but this should be an easy one to figure out...

4. Western fleet owner

Dec 10, 2020
    I am paying pretty well my friend. Not tryna start an argument. 0.55 cents a mile 12,000 miles a month is good money for a company driver for dry van Trust me

5. Adamali21

Adamali21 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2018
    As long your not forcing them to be on the road for 10-30 days like other companies 0.55 cents is pretty good

6. Western fleet owner

Dec 10, 2020
    Yeah. All my runs are 6 days out. And that’s pretty good in my opinion for 0.55

7. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    The going rate in Winnipeg is below .55 Zvar my guess it’s the companies he’s leased on too.

8. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Most of those rookie drivers haven't a clue, they just want the higher rate. I'd take your .55 over .60 if it's a dedicated drop n' hook, steady run, good motor, stick-shift, with none of them in-cab peeping Tom cameras, oh and proper reset at home. But that's only cause I know better, those drivers calling you are noobs and you need to explain that to them, somehow in their language, via waving flip-flops, or I donno somehow it must be translated to them that an above average cpm doesn't always transfer into higher earnings

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet, you can't get drivers at that pay...

dunchues and Farmtractor9900 Thank this.
  10. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Not bad but to be completely honest in today's time with inflation increasing (monthly it seems). I'd say $0.60 cpm should be the standard rate. When looking at the American rate being similar in Major cities at around $0.55 to $0.60 cpm but slightly cheaper inflation for food, clothes etc. It only makes sense.

Yes, I'm at a Unionized company hourly pay plus layover pay with a 5 star hotel as well. On average calculating the cpm would be $0.875/mile. As I'm leaving this post at a Truck stop I see drivers rushing to leave whiles I'm able to casually leave just shows how difficult it is for most.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2021
    Coffey Thanks this.
  11. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    .55 cpm is good for your area considering how low the competition pay, most are under .50. Current environment I just cant see anyone wanting to do long haul, I been doing line haul the past 25 years so somewhat negative opinion on camping out in a truck and not being home for dinner every day..Good luck

Ol'Shusquatch and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.