I can handle sleeping near a reefer or a loud truck.....

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by SteveScott, Jan 1, 2019.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    But the last 2 nights old iron long nose trucks have parked next to me with open exhaust, and air leaks. It's below freezing this week at night in the PNW, so drivers without APU's or bunk heaters are all idling. So their compressors are kicking off about every minute or two. The air release is more than I can handle. Tonight when a guy parked next to me and got into his bunk with the engine idling, I noticed right away that his compressor was shutting off every 50 seconds (yes, I timed it). So I moved. How the heck do you drive with an air leak that bad and not fix it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Man ive patched air leaks with duct tape and got better results than every 50 seconds!... Lol

Lohse, Schoob, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It isn't always a leak, a malfunction can have it pump up and dump every few seconds.

Leaky glad hand seal on the supply line (red) will do it, too, but you can just pull the knob to stop that leak when parked.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Seems like every time I go to Jubitz there's some p.o.s. truck with an rgn type trailer from the east coast parked along the curb near the NO IDLE section with his spitter going off every 30 seconds and you NEVER see the driver NEVER.

stwik and austinmike Thank this.
  6. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    He's comatose, the only way he can tolerate it.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Or deaf like me. No issues.

As Sgt Schultz modified. "...I hear nothing, nothing..."

However, should a sound be unnatural such as someone stepping onto my rig or the reefer coughing Im all over it.

brysol01, Schoob, 25(2)+2 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You feel things that make sounds, I'd guess.

Had the new ride do an automatic dpf regen, and I could sure feel that as well as hear it.

stwik, Cattleman84 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes. The skin provides the sensory impact of sound if it gets past the airride on those trucks. And you would be surprised at how busy a big truck can be moving or sitting still. The Body is a wonderful machine, take away the ears, you get eagle eyes and a feel for the world really fast. If everything is normal no problems. But introduce something NOT normal then.. boom all awake looking for the issue.

Bridges are my weakness. We have some concrete and girder bridges here in Arkansas that fail to constantly flex and move under the heavy traffic on it. I look for that as a example through the skin.

Or a wheel starts shaking off a loose few lug nuts (Like the old spoke wheels might do) you get to feeling that through the frame to the cab and start looking for it before it escapes and really causes a problem.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Probably not an actual air leak just the unloader valves in the compressor itself, if they were leaking air that bad you should be able to hear it. The straight pipes just sing you to sleep at night, at least if you grew up riding around in trucks.

stwik and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    I've been operating farm equipment since I was 5, no mufflers on anything but to ride around in a truck with straight pipes all day and then go to sleep with like that you got to be :sign3:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.