I don't understand lease to Schneider pay

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gonzo1300, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Gonzo1300

Gonzo1300 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    With fuel prices where they are right now and what it would cost to run a truck is roughly $1.07 a mile without driver pay. I have seen with my own eyes Schneider load board. All I seen was loads average pay was $1.10 to $1.25 a mile. Is there something I'm missing? There is no way you can make to much more than a company driver at rates like that. Are they paying for all the insurance and a ton of other stuff? Honestly you would be way way way better off running off of load boards. I have to be missing something here. You would have to be running high miles every week to bring home a check of around $1300 leasing to a company like that. If I am missing something please let me know. I'm hoping I am.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    You've pretty much got it figured out why leasing and lease purchase is a sham

4. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    Honestly the way I see it if you can't get your monthly average around $1.90 to $2.10 a mile for that month you're not making any money especially if your paying on a truck.

Puppage and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  5. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    I have looked at being an owner operator from all sides. I'm thinking it's better to do it yourself. When leasing you give any where from 10% to 40% of your money for them to basically look for loads that you can do for yourself. The only other benefit I can see of there dispatch handling all your office stuff like faxing and what not along with some fuel and tire discounts. Again is there something I'm missing?

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    This must be their ICC program. There is a self dispatch and "I am a lease operator, not just a truck driver" context too, but company drivers at 45-55 cpm should be way better off.

nightgunner Thanks this.
  7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    This is not new news. You haven't just discovered something no one else hasn't already figured out. Get over yourself.
    The choice program turned into a flease program a long time ago.

8. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    This pretty well spells it out..... Just have to decide if the value of their services are worth the cut you are paying them.

When you are leased to a carrier (after potential discounts) they take care of the backroom stuff (including collections/factoring), dealing with Gov't agencies, and they make loads available to you. They retain some revenue to pay the office folks to do these chores. As an established carrier they should be able to provide insurance at a significant discount. Keep in mind also that some brokers and shippers will not work with new carriers.

The problem I see with the Schnider board (and most of the larger "fleece" type operators) is that the available loads is the leftover freight that Schnider bid against other large companies to get.... so they have to bid it low to get the contract. It is a problem with the vast majority of the Larger lease companies.

A company that runs more spot market based (rather than contract based) should have higher rate loads available.

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I never saw their loadboard and what rates there were posting their freight for. But from what the op said, that's just horrible. Add some deadhead to it and you are averaging 1 dol a mile or less.

mem Thanks this.
  10. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    Actually Schneider doesn't bid all that low. They have a lot of good paying contract freight. The problem is the brokerage has gotten very greedy and takes out a huge portion before selling it to sni then sni takes another 35% out.
    Leaving almost nothing.
    They basically take 50% and sometimes more before it goes on the board.
    But you can find all this info on the
    SCHNEIDER PICKING MY OWN FREIGHT thread. You can read all about the rise and demise of the choice program.

Gonzo1300, Blu_Ogre and TallJoe Thank this.
  11. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    The other thing is, the rates posted on the board are based on hhg miles.
    I'm sure nearly half of the drivers don't even realize this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.