I felt like I was hauling groceries again today.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by fortycalglock, Mar 13, 2012.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    It took seven hours total to get loaded. When I was pulled around finally to load, they had to go to a safety meeting and then to lunch. I'll find out tomorrow whether I got 3 or 5 hours detention though, something I rarely saw hauling groceries, and never without fighting for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    That sucks! Ive been stuck at some big places for a few hours on the flatbed side. Sat 14 hours AFTER DDT at Tyson while on the reefer side though.

4. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    I would have left. Had that happen once, sat for an hour nobody came went inside and was told in a meeting, i told the girl tell them i'am leaving walked out to the truck and before i got in a guy with a forklift showed up. Had me loaded in half an hour. Its amazing some of the bs they try and do.

5. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Yeah, well if I did that I'd lose an awesome agent worth over $100,000 dollars per year to me at $3-6+ per mile for loaded miles (real money, not LS gross). I think I'll stick with my plan of smiling the whole time knowing I'll be taken care of. I got $175 detention, plus a $3 p/m load to the truck out of FL. I'll definitely stick with my way of doing things.

SHC Thanks this.
  6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Sounds like it all worked out for you. Glad to hear it !!!

7. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    This load sounds very similiar to a load I picked up out of there, took forever to get. It wouldnt happen to be going to a certain military base out west somewhere would it?

8. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Nah, dropped it today, 530 miles over night. Non .gov load.

9. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    We used to leave if they tried to make us sit that long. But we didn't get detention and the brokers we had sided with us and just gave us something else if they had it. I don't see it as a problem as long as my time is payed for. If I had an agent like that, it wouldn't bother me to sit every once in a while even if I wasn't payed for it, though.

10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Exactly, sometimes you have to lend a hand to get ahead in this game. I've sat a few times at a job site, and I've even gone above and beyond on a few loads.

Like that old M37 I hauled out of WY. The guy that bought it called a rollback truck in to load it onto my flatbed but the rollback was a little Hino truck and there was about a 2.5' height difference. So I busted out my tools and got the thing running and drove it 2 blocks away to a cement plant that I had seen that had a loading dock on my way in. Loaded it up and off I went.....even got the wrecker guy to refund the buyers $100 he had charged him, which the buyer told me to keep when I got to the delivery ;)

11. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    2.5 feet? That guy had no idea how to run a flatbed. I'd have gotten it leveled and on there no problem. With that tiedown anywhere system on your trailer, it'd make it even easier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.