I got an offer from CR England

Discussion in 'CR England' started by Mklangelo, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    I applied and got a call the next day to go to Burns Harbor, Michagan for training.

After spending 5 minutes on this forum, I'm having serious doubts. I had no intentions of leasing anyway.

I'd like to hear from more people on what to expect at the training. The woman who called me from the company, said training was about 2-3 weeks. It seems like I'll be gone for about 9 if I look at the timeline on their website. She also told me nobody is allowed to drive their own car there since you'll be driving an 18 wheeler back home after training. Is this crap or what?

thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. larryh31

larryh31 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Washington, DC 20032
    You should apply with a couple of other companies and see what happens before you go with CR England (Every New Guy Last About Ninety Days).
    If you have a bad driving/criminal record, they maybe your only option for now. Otherwise, there are better companies to chose from.

You should leave your car at home unless you live near your school/terminal. You can't drive a truck and your car at the same time.

4. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

As far as I know, there are no trucks issued right there from their training program there. I see it all the time as I drive over the bridge by the steel mills on Cline avenue, and all their training program consists of is a dirt lot with a trailer on it for an office, and some trucks and trailers to practice with.

As for taking a car, you live in Milwaukee, so at the very worst it's about a 2 hour drive down to pick up the truck after training. You could have someone run you down there or take the Greyhound or train. The companies like to tell you not to have a car, because it puts you a little bit more under their control. I would bring the car and have my transportation under my own control.

I would look closely at other companies however, since CRE does not have the best reputation on the road.

5. Mklangelo

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    I have a good driving record, a DWI in 89'. Nice and clean background, no criminal stuff. I applied at Schneider but havn't heard from them.

6. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Forget those guys. You got an offer yesterday, as did probably ten thousand other sausages. CRE has over 200% turnover, meaning you probably will last only about 90 days there. There are better companies around. Roehl is one company that is a LOT better, and they're based in Wisconsin.

Death before C.R. England, boy.

You haven't even accepted a job with them and they're already screwing with you by telling you you're not allowed to drive your car to their terminal. This is because they want to keep you under their thumb. If you did drive you own vehicle, you may be tempted to leave permanently when the crap gets ankle deep during training. They want you to stick around until it gets hip deep. By then they'll have officially hired you on and can then screw with your DAC if you quit 'em. And it will take only about two weeks before you're hip deep in England's crapola.

Go with Roehl, man.

7. larryh31

larryh31 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Washington, DC 20032
    Give Schneider a call. They get 100's of applications, so sometimes you can get lost in the crowd. With you background, you should have several companies to chose from. I know that you are probally real excited right now about starting a new career and all. But take a little time to pick a company that has the pay, benefits and hometime that you are looking for.

8. Mklangelo

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Just got off the phone with Schneider. Got a "conditional" job offer pending verification of the info I gave them...

9. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Stay away from England no matter what. Those guys have just about the lowest opinion of truck drivers out there. They view drivers as people to be preyed upon. In their minds, they are justified in that preying.

10. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    I agree about the car, never give them the impression that you have no way out.

11. lugnut

lugnut Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Farkin, WI
    What do you think the offer is from England? It is conditional as well.
    But they may not tell you that! I do KNOW first hand because I was once an employee at CRE.

My very best advice is to go with Schneider or CFI or ?

But for the love of God man, not England!

The reason they don't want you to drive is because they DO want to keep you under their thumb. Once in Indiana you go to training when they say. You also go to the store when they say. The reason you go when they say is because THEY run a shuttle once a day to the store, and leave for training an hour early.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.