I Guess I'm Done Driving?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by CondoCruiser, Nov 4, 2010.

1. ericman2001

ericman2001 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Stick with it Condo. This lazy bum here has hypothyroidism, hypogonadism, and (had) high cholesterol. Two years ago I weighed 260 and now I'm 177. If I can do it, anyone can! Just stick with it and take care of yourself. Everything will work itself out if you just stick with it.

My only worry at this point is prescription costs. With my health plan changing at work, I might have to trade a monetary cost with a 1.5" 18 gauge needle cost. YUCK! I did that three times so far and all I have to say is insulin dependent diabetics can eat your heart out :biggrin_25522:

Us duct taped together folk have to stick together, though! Good luck to you, Condo!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    Strider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks Eric. Yeah, I have BCBS and they don't pay like I remember. I have to pay $134 out of pocket for prescriptions and diabetic supplies and 20% of medical care. I use all the generics I can. I had to pay for half of my sleep study.

Luckily, I paid for 24 months of disability insurance. The company will probably fire me next month when my 12 weeks medical leave of absense expires. That's when things are going to get tough when my health insurance drops. Nobody can afford COBRA.

I've lost 15 lbs so far in 6 weeks. I have about 70 lbs more to go. I started some remodeling projects around the house as a form of excercise. But with the back I can only work about 10 minutes before I'm in extreme pain. Then I sit for 10 minutes and then I can go for another 10. Slow process. Hopefully them shots will help me endure more. The doctor told me to start swimming as an excersise, lol. Not exactly a good time of the year to jump in the lake.

I was hoping to go back to work next month. But it don't look that way now. I might have to buy some duct tape. A year ago, I never thought any of this would happen. I can't stress enough for everyone to buy disability insurance. You never know.

4. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hey Condo-about your discs- they may recommend Physical therapy too if the disc is bulged out as you can do therapy to help strengthen areas around and that support your spine. I am presuming the injections they are talking about are steroid type injections that bring the inflammation down. I had them in my shoulder years ago- they (at that time I was actually working at the hospital on the ortho floor) put some novacaine like medication in the injection to help numb it. One shot helped the other did not.

Keep up the good work and keep moving the best you can. Can you go to a gym that has pool and water walk? really it's great exercise and it does not strain your joints.

5. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    What about joining the Y? Or call your local boys and girls club, they often have swim classes or water arobics for adults at a VERY low price. When I use to go to one it only cost me $20 a month for as many classes a week I wanted to attend. I went 4 days a week.

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I get the epidural steroid injection next week followed by physical therapy.
    I'm not looking forward to this at all. Anybody have a needle stuck in their spine before?

The doc said the degenerative disc are buldging at the very lower part of my back and a disc is fragmented at F5. That's where I'm getting the injection.

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Been there done that with the injections. It's not totally horrible. I'm a big chicken when it comes to needles too!

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'll take your word for it. I think I meant L5, looking at a picture of a spine now.

9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Yep, L5 would be it. Lumbar vertebra.

I meet with the surgeon Jan 6 myself to see about getting my back fixed. I turned up a bit more on the procedure, and it doesn't sound like I will end up under very many restrictions after the surgery.

Ducks Thanks this.
  10. Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Middle of the Desert
    Keep at the physical work. You are helping yourself in more ways than you know.

11. krash13ss

krash13ss Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    shady point ok.
    I got the injection in my rotator cuff and the shot wasn't too bad. Made me deathly sick for four days though.Found out diabetics are not supposed to get it. After I got over being sick it healed torn cuff without surgery. Been 10 years and never bothers me. good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.