I Guess I'm Done Driving?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by CondoCruiser, Nov 4, 2010.

1. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB
    Condo - if you have any gyms near you, look into whether any of them have a reverse hyper machine. I have yet to get my hands on one, but I've talked with some people, and have read about others, who have used this for lower back rehab and physical therapy, using only light weights, and have had tremendous success with it. You can see it here on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_0IHKPkxqo

Hope you have a successful recovery.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hey Condo
    when you get the injection in your back just be aware if it's a steroid injection (ask) it may affect your BG readings for a while as steroids play havoc with diabetic status.

Keep up the good work!!!

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks, the doctor warned me. I'll test before I go in and afterwards also. I finally learned to test 2 hour after eating. My numbers have been 110-150. Is it normal for your sugar to raise in the 200's after you eat?

I had episodes of waking up in the middle of the night freezing and trembling uncontrollably. My doctor lowered my Metformin from 1000mg to 850mg x2. I haven't had one of them episodes since. He thinks my sugar was dropping too low.

TheHealthyDriver, the nearest gym is around 50 miles from me. I'm going to do the physical therapy for 6 weeks. There is one of them near me. I'm doubtful that will improve my back though. I first hurt it in 2004 and I was in shape then, weighed 195. It was about 2006 when my thyroid quit working and I gained 70 lbs quick. Weight is making it worse but isn't the root cause. I bought an old house and I plan on spending the next six months remodeling it. That should help me some. The doctor won't reevaluate me until March, so I doubt I'll be going back to work anytime soon. I'm missing the road though.

5. sammycat

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Condo
    your BG (according to the ADA) should be 150 or less 2 hours after eating so 200 two hours after is high but not right after eating-that is normal your body reacting to the increased glucose levels in your body. You are not producing enough insulin to bring it down therefore the Metformin to help.
    Yes you were having hypoglycemic episodes (low blood sugar) normal symptoms as you describe but also can feel dizzy, lightheaded, hungry, headache, grumpy-you were sweating (freezing probably) if you can get something in your system and then check to see what your BG is. Get something like OJ and 1/2 sandwich with protein. Or milk (has natural sugar and protein) Everyone has a ''number'' they can drop to and not really have symptoms and then they can drop 1 or 2 more points and feel like crap. (for example you may be okay at 70 but if you drop to 68 you feel bad) Keep something on you when you go out like hard candy (lifesavers) or even peanut butter crackers in case when you are out and your sugar drops.

6. PurpleKW

PurpleKW Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Chula Vista, CA
    Hey, Sammycat!!! Have ya written off your old pal? The one who used to haul Flammable Liquids clear across the U.S. in the dead of winter? Say it ain't so...:biggrin_2559::biggrin_25525::biggrin_2559:

sammycat Thanks this.
  7. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Lots of good advice here. I'm also diabetic on metformin and have a messed up back. I've gone from 290# to 240# in a year. I'm platuaed at 240 but still working on it. Through weight loss, diet, and exercise I've got my A1C down to 5.2. The weight loss and Pilates (developing core muscles) has taken care of my back issues.

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks Native dancer, that's reassuring I can do it too. :)

Native Dancer Thanks this.
  9. sammycat

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Native Dance good job! Keep it up and don't get frustrated you know that your weight will platue as your body thinks it is going into starvation mode and reserves it's energy stores.
    Wow on the A1C!!!:biggrin_25514:

No KW I didn't forget you at all~~~~

10. KnuckleBuster

KnuckleBuster Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Wellsboro Pa, Lakeland Fl
    Anybody that is suffering from and trying to beat diabetes owes it to themselves to try out a book called Reversing Diabetes by Dr Neal Bernard. I went from 220 pounds down to 155 pounds in a matter of months, blood pressure returned to normal, stopped shooting insulin 2x a day, and my BS run 90-125 and is controled through diet, exercise and Metformin. My last A1C was 7.2, which I am shooting for a 6.5 at my next appointment in February.

http://http://www.nealbarnard.org/diabetes_book.htm

11. will62

will62 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2011
    republic, mo
    I currently work with durable medical equipment such as CPAP and BiPAP and have set up a couple of drivers with CPAPs and another with a BiPAP and supplemental oxygen. They are driving for major companies at present. A local carrier is requiring all of its drivers to have sleep studies in the next few months. THis is the next big thing comming down

bayougirl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.