I have a 2014 Retired Prime truck . Question about Idle on trucks

Discussion in 'Prime' started by danny23tx, Feb 15, 2017.

1. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Purchased a 2014 Cascadia from prime . What did you guys do when APU was broke down ? Did you idle or is there some sort of programed idle feature ? Not sure if they had a idle cutoff or run enviromental controls without running down battery . Any info is much appreciated .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Idling will kill the engine faster than anything. Actually it kills the DPF and EGR. Your gonna need the " One Box " replaced at around 600K, 800K is the record for our little fleet. It's $8K. Save some money.

You should be able to turn the cruise on at idle, and bump it up to about 800 RPM. This is better for everything.
    Good luck.

danny23tx Thanks this.
  4. danny23tx

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Thx for the info , Apu has low hours and recent services . First time APU user so I was trying to have a backup plan . Thx

5. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    What do you mean by low hours on it? If it's a used apu that was on the truck since new it should be around 5k hours. Best thing to keep your apu functioning is to do a pm about every 400-500 hours. Not the 1000 hours that they might have told you if it's a rigmaster apu.

6. danny23tx

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    1200 hrs is what the computer on the apu says . Recent pm . Fresh belt , oil and filter . Apu services center near my home will be doing maintenance but I also downloaded owners manual to study up on .

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  7. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    That is low if it's original. Good luck with your truck. Prime does a pretty good job at maintaining there equipment.

If the belt starts to squeal on the apu, don't just assume it needs to be replaced. The one thing the rigmaster failed at was not putting a belt tensioner on the apu. If it starts to squeal, it most likely just needs to be tightened up. You loosen the lower bolt on the alternator and then push the alternator as hard as possible and retighten the bolt. That usually solves the squeal and saves you $60 for a shop to just replace the belt.

danny23tx Thanks this.
  8. danny23tx

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Thx for the heads up . Yes truck is in awesome shape even has warranty left on it that Prime purchased extra .

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    We would get the APU fixed ASAP in the summer. Stay in a motel room if it was too hot in the truck.

Some trucks will idle and some wont, depends how deep the shop guys dig around looking for stuff to "fix". Although they should undo any of that before they sell the truck.

redoctober83 and danny23tx Thank this.
  10. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    You would be surprised how much you could fix yourself on the rigmaster. The only big issue I have had with mine was the water pump leaking and after watching the shop replace it, I could it myself next time no problem.

Also, wash the engine of the apu every couple months. That keeps the parts from wearing out to soon. All road grime gets in there and starts messing things up.

11. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Ar
    Are you running with prime

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.