I have a great idea!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Sep 6, 2019.

1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I am a company driver who gets to occasionally find, negotiate and run his own loads OTR. Its about as good as trucking gets.

bryan21384 and tscottme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    What company is that? And how often is occasionally l?

4. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    Your typical OTR driver think sweatpants and flip flops are acceptable business attire. They’re too lazy to pull up after fueling or throw their own trash away.

In case you’re still wondering if the aforementioned driver can keep a truck running effieciently and understand profitable freight lanes, the answer is no.

Ridlingdj, TripleSix, tscottme and 5 others Thank this.
  5. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Me smarty pants why don’t you just go watch Netflix and chill or learn to play the guitar let the grown ups have this conversation

6. DieselDrivinDaddy

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    A grown-up would be smart enough to take the advice of those who run successful businesses.

If you want to run a trucking company, make decisions yourself. Don’t let some slob driver decide the fate of your business.

Ridlingdj, tscottme, snowwy and 3 others Thank this.
  7. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    I work for a quarry with 6 trucks and enjoy being anonymous. Occasionally is whenever rock gets too slow and all trucks have drivers. Part of my very low wage employment agreement was periodic use of the truck to move my equipment. Right now im hauling a tractor load of my iron. Ive been gone with his truck since tuesday. I also labor in a quarry when we have orders that need to be put together, and mechanic a bit at times to pay for truck use. We work it out as we go and its been pretty great for both of us.

I wear whatever i want and i have beaten my bosses 25 yr 1 week 1 truck gross record. Should i dress up for the loader with tattoos all over his face? Or the 65 lying dispatchers i need to call? Half of them are at home in their flip flops and wouldnt know a greasy chain if it bit em in the elbow. Its my skin and my toes, ill do what i want with em.

You can insult a lot of people when you paint with a broad brush. A man has to live in a stinky truck for 8 or 10 days away from his family, what gives you the right to connect his clothes to his intelligence?

If any of us were all that smart we probably wouldnt be in this stupid field.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  8. Trucker186

Trucker186 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Except the fact that dumb ### in flip flops dropped a chain and is in the emergency room with a broken foot !!! Also show yourself some respect where some jeans and a tee at least you look like a average guy and not a douche.

9. DieselDrivinDaddy

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    Congratulations on running someone else’s truck successfully for a week.

I agree that you’re free to dress as you choose. I don’t dress to impress anyone. I do it to portray a positive image of my business.

You’re missing the point of my original statement, which is a lost cause at this point.

Ridlingdj, D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Im not that interested in your original point, i am cherry picking the points that interest me, like how everyone else does the internet.

Like you missing my point. Or cherry picking it to minimize my point that counters yours. Boss puts on his business attire every week. In 25 yrs of running trucks his best ever is what i beat and it didnt matter what i wore. So thats my point. You dont get paid to wear dickies you get paid to slam out completed PODs of critical freight and avoid dead zones. But maybe thats a lost cause with you too since youve already decided its a bad idea.

Edit: Fwiw, if i ever start a trucking company it will be based on a self dispatch model. Driver retention is THE crisis and nothing has given me more satisfaction,sleep AND pay as a driver. Imagine being an owner op on someone else dime? Who could ever leave that gig? What other company could lure someone away from that?

The time i beat his record i was out for 4 weeks. I only worked 3 of them and had my biggest checks with a 4th week off. And i didnt hear from the owner at all, i only dealt with the office lady, who had to fill out the carrier packets i had brokers send. It was heaven. 3 of my own loads were moved in that month [990 miles one way] two were partials and one full.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  11. DieselDrivinDaddy

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    Not everyone needs to live on the road to make money.

If I had to spend more than four days straight on the road to make a living, I wouldn’t be doing this.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on how to run a business.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.