Leak, Can I drive 2 miles to the shop w/o coolant in the tank

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SOUTHSIDETRUCKER95, Jun 4, 2023.

1. SOUTHSIDETRUCKER95

SOUTHSIDETRUCKER95 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2023
    I have a 2011 Freightliner DD15 with a coolant supply line leaking . It started as soon as I pulled into my yard and all the coolant came out . I parked the truck as soon as I saw it .

There is no coolant in the reservoir tank and whenever I pour anything in it leaks out instantly. My repair shop is 2 miles away is it okay to drive there without any coolant or will I harm the engine ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It'll be fine, just watch the temp gauge and don't leave it idling

4. SOUTHSIDETRUCKER95

SOUTHSIDETRUCKER95 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2023
    I turned the truck on because I had to disconnect the trailer and move it over and it shut down within 30 seconds .

TexasRiverRat Thanks this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Use the shutdown override

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Can the shop get you in right away or is it going to sit 2 miles closer and wait a few days over there?

I'm no expert on the cooling system temp how it reads, but when I blew up my transmission back in 2013 my mechanic told me always watch the temp gauge, if it suddenly drops from 150 or whatever to not registering at all that means it has run out of oil since the sensor can only measure temp in liquid it won't measure air temp. Unsure if coolant temp sensor would work the same way.

I would try and identify the issue myself, patch it good enough so it will hold water to get it to a mechanic. If you start with engine stone cold and go quick you might get away with it. How mad would you be with yourself if it ends up costing you a head gasket or worse? I'd hate to risk that. Unless you have zero cares about it anymore then have at it I guess. If you do figure it out yourself and all it cost you is some new hose, clamps, and new coolant, you'll now have learned a new skill, and saved some coin while you're at it. If it's already broke you ain't gonna break it more (for this one).

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Sounds like a loose or blown hose if it's that bad.

I'd repair it myself or pay for roadside service. Blown engines aren't cheap

8. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Where exactly is it leaking from? Is it hole in expansion tank? You can get some jb weld and temporarily fix it until you can replace part

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I don't think you would make it.. I blew coolant line on my 95 GMC pickup bout 6 years ago. Lost all the coolant. And limped it home about 1 mile away and the temp gauge was at 250+

10. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    if the coolant is all drained out already then it's a pretty easy job. Unscrew the hose clamps and pull the hose and go buy a new one and throw it on. Get about 12 gallons or so of coolant and fill er up. Run it with the reservoir cap off for 5 minutes or so to get out any air bubbles and you're good to go. Not worth limping it to a shop and potentially blowing the engine over something so easy to do especially now that the weathers decent.

11. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    First of all no coolant no temperature reading!!!
    So there's that.

I would not chance cracking a head or a head gasket to save a 2 mile tow.
    If it is just a hose have a mobile guy do it if can't or won't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.