I have a unique, checkered past. Is my OTR career over before it begins?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by spobuggie, Sep 21, 2017.

1. spobuggie

spobuggie Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    South Texas
    Hello, I’m a 45 year old cdl student that will be testing by the end of the month to get my cdl. My mvr for the last 3 years is clean. I have no convictions ever for anything.

The problem, that I had completely forgotten about, is when i was 17 (over 27 years ago) I was involved in an accident and the driver i hit died. I was charged with involuntary manslaghter because there were witnesses that i was racing another vehicle. So i accepted the deferred adjudication no contest plea and did six years probation. Never any jail time.

This is not who I am. It hurts to relive this as ive not had to acknowledge this on any application in the past 20+ years. It hurts to put this out here on a public message board. I cant hide it from companies as i’m fairly certain that a background check will reveal it and just get me sent home during orientation/training.

I applied with Melton (I really want to do otr flatbed), and the interview was going great until the questions came. The no convictions part was easy, but then she asked about deferred adjudications, expunged, etc...I then disclosed, and when she got back with me, she said HR said no. Maybe if i get 6 months to a year otr under my belt to reapply then.

Am i spinning my wheels? Are I my otr dreams with a good company crushed.
    Just looking for advice and guidance.

Thanks

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You can always get hired by a 1099 company. Just check out Chicago Craigslist

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Wait, you "forgot" you killed someone???? Wow.....

5. spobuggie

spobuggie Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    South Texas
    I’ve never forgotten. But I havent dwelled. I just didnt think about it in relation to this line of work, and also how extensive the background checks would be. Its a painful part of my past that hasnt defined me, up until now.

I realise some of you will have a field day with me.

Ive had 2 jobs in the last 23 years. I am just looking to start another career.

Lepton1 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Bring it up over the phone before going into training. I'm pretty certain most companies won't hold it against you.

207nomad Thanks this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Did you ask your school what your chances are in your situation?Normally companies don't go as far back as 27 years but in this case they may.You should have talked to companies first before attending trucking school.

Mike2633 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  8. spobuggie

spobuggie Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    South Texas
    I naively did not think it would be an issue when choosing this career path, so no, i didnt even think about it until that first interview with Melton.

Yes, I intend to disclose in all first interviews simply because i do not want to be sent home during training.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I think before filling out applications talk to the company first.Not the recruiter but the safety dept.

10. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    If they don't ask, don't tell.

Grubby, BB203, bigguns and 3 others Thank this.
  11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Something that long ago I wouldn't even mention it

Grubby, BB203, 207nomad and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.