I have Arkansas CDL Permit, but going to train in Oklahoma....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hunterd1989, Jan 23, 2014.

  1. Hunterd1989

    Hunterd1989 Bobtail Member

    Oct 25, 2013
    Will I have to re-take my written exams in Oklahoma or can I just pay a fee and have it switched over from Arkansas to Oklahoma, how does that work? My father recently bought a truck and is on his way to being an O/O so he is going to train me using his truck.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Suptrkr

    Suptrkr Light Load Member

    Aug 28, 2012
    Bentonville, AR
    If you still live in Ar then you can keep the AR. If you move to OK then it must be OK.
    It is where you reside. Hope this helps.. good luck to you and your Dad...
  4. Wooly Rhino

    Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The above posting is correct. You may only have one license at a time and that license should be issued by the state you reside in.

    The good news is that if you have two sisters you can marry one in Arkansas and one in Oklahoma.

    I am allowed to make fun of Arkansas as my mother was from Dardanell in Yell County.
    Suptrkr Thanks this.
  5. Aminal

    Aminal Heavy Load Member

    Lawyer J. Nobel Daggat may have something to say about that!
  6. Hunterd1989

    Hunterd1989 Bobtail Member

    Oct 25, 2013
    So when I take my driving part of the CDL, I would actually have to go back to Arkansas with the truck to take it correct? Or can I take the test in Oklahoma and if I pass get registered in Arkansas?
  7. HauntedSchizo19

    HauntedSchizo19 Medium Load Member

    Dec 19, 2013
    Southern Tier, New York
    You can go to any trucking school, in any state, and receive your CDL Class-A License; however, by Federal Law, you can only have ONE CDL, and it has to be in the state where you receive your mail. Hopefully this helps you. I'd check into Arkansas policy on switching CDL's back into their state.

    Best of luck to you!
  8. Free-_-bird

    Free-_-bird Bobtail Member

    Jan 24, 2014
    Hunter, when you get ready to take your pre-trip, skills, and road test, you MUST go back into Arkansas. You'll just have to cross the line, come into the Springdale office, and take these tests. Don't forget to call for an appointment WAY before your permit expires, as they are usually booked up for around a month.
    I just went through all of this to get my CDL's back after I let them go back in 2000.

    Hope this helps,
  9. OzzyOKC

    OzzyOKC Light Load Member

    May 29, 2010
    Durant, OK
    Some states are considered "Closed" states for truck schools, such as Texas. You have to be a resident of Texas for 30 days to go to truck driving school there. Oklahoma/Arkansas are not closed states.
  10. BulletProof

    BulletProof Medium Load Member

    Feb 17, 2013
    When I only had my permit before the license, our safety department said it is against FMCSA to cross state lines while driving with a permit. Not sure how true it is but they sure did jump all over me about it for going 5 miles into Mississippi from Alabama. You might want to make sure you can drive outside of your state with the permit.
  11. MondoTrucker

    MondoTrucker Light Load Member

    Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    You will have to get an OK license and CDL permit to train in OK. You transfer your license using the schools address and get your OK permit, then you train and get your OK CDL and then transfer it back to your home state. This is how the out of state drivers in my class at Roadmaster in Tulsa, OK had to do it. And I am currently attending there.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted