I have copd & smoke that previous drivers in my truck effects it.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hrpuffie, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    There’s more to it than a script. One starts to walk the line on even having a CDL. Research and consult.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm meaning the difference in life and painful death. CDL is a different story. I've seen drivers with oxygen tubes. Don't know if that's legal or not; maybe they didn't use it during a physical.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I’d like to emphasize being careful. Don’t put Med Card or CDL on the line.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is legal per my PDF link to have oxygen generator machines which concentrate from the atmosphere.

IT IS NOT LEGAL PERIOD; To have actual oxygen tanks to breathe off of in the truck.

Remember 70% of the air around is nitrogen, 20% of it is oxygen and the rest is trace gases of a variety all of which we can use except Carbon gases.

Gambosa and Slowmover1 Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    One of the first questions I ask someone is, "Do you smoke?"

Cause if someone is a non smoker, it just voided any trucks that have come from smokers.

x1Heavy, Gambosa and buddyd157 Thank this.
  7. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have smoked off & on for years (plan to quit again tomorrow in fact). During periods that I was a nonsmoker, I was never bothered by the smell of smoke at all, though I know most nonsmokers are irritated by the smell. The longest I quit was for 10 years. Though I agree on the cleaning of the truck or asking dispatch for one that has not been smoked in, since it bothers your health. Especially since it is your breathing, that is extremely important.

8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have that exact machine, you have to have a prescription to get one. Is it legal or not I do not know, haven't ask and don't plan on it. The doctor that gave me the prescription,did say she would not give me another physical, but she said that way before she gave me the prescription too. I talked to another doctor and he said he would, we will find out in a couple of months.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but you might try febreeze with and after a thouroughcleaning.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Forget the Fareeze. It's cheap and a imitation. Does not work.

Get Ozium. We used that back in our pot smoking days. Erases the odor to where my parents could not detect it on my clothes. When I say pot smoking, not necessarily me but the circle of friends I ran with then two were big smokers. So much for the war on drugs back then.

I am a former smoker 4 packs of red 100's malboro from Kings Mountain cartons at a time until about 2001 when I got mountain sick in Casper. That was the first incident of suspected asthma or emphysema brought on by smoking. The Hospital at Casper cleared me up and gave me a order to get out of the rockies and stop that smoking. And once dispatch heard that out of the rockies I got. They sent me east. Ugh.

Even today if someone in our community is taking a smoke break it's a trigger for me and I don't like it. Three of the four smokers have died within the past 2 years already still 50 or so from smoking related deaths. Small cell lung cancer killed one, a BIG widow maker dropped another and again 5 weeks later he continued to smoke. And there are two more still smoking, one with diabetes and the other probably will be like my grandpa 90 and puffing cigars until his 12th or so heart attack. When that call went out again to the ambulance service they went oh god not again. Took a little longer than usual to get there. He died on the lawn out front waiting. Usually 6 minutes response. This time it was 16 minutes. He was gone by then. We buried him deep stubborn old coot.

My own system has some issues, but I am not going to be killed from smoking. It will be something else. Who knows. Probably a form of leukemia or some sort of stoke that kills so many of my older relatives.

I don't care that you are smoking. There is always that possibility on a real bad day along with a bottle of bourbon. But I do want that far away from me because again I do not do well around the ashes, dust, odors and so on after you have had one. It does not take much to induce a range of illness enough to finish me for the day being near a smoker. So I am self preservation that way.

Slowmover1 and Gambosa Thank this.
  10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Febreze causes it's own set of problems, best used sparingly or not at all. I tolerated a loaner car that had been over treated with it, but not staying in the car like I would have to with a truck. It was noticeable for sure.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Not true.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.