I have great respect.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Scvready, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    Just wanted to say I've started taking my CDL course last week and Friday we were doing some trailer backing. I didn't know it was this tricky. To all you who make this look easy I have great respect for you!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Reason for edit: Grammer
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve baked cookies a few times, but that wasn’t tricky. Baking isn’t hard, but I’ve never tried it with a trailer. o_O:p

4. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I understood what you meant. Yes backing does take some time to master. Just be patient and it will come at ease. The 2 biggest things to remember when backing

1. Always get out and look if in doubt in any situation

2. If you get frustrated while trying to back, pull off to the side and out of the way, calm yourself down, and once you ve calmed down, try it again

3. The last thing you want is to ruin your day or job by not following 1 and 2

Dan.S, ladr, Shock Therapy and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Here is a tip, go easy on the baking soda...

When you are backing, watch the rear tire on the trailer tandems, not the rear of the trailer. Put that tire, or the one on your blind side where you want the trailer to go. And ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings! That means on the ground, both sides, in front and behind your truck! And ALWAYS look up! Low wires, something hanging off a wall or roof, construction equipment like a picker with a basket. Always look up. Also, best to slide your tandems all the way to the rear. Just my .02 ;-)

6. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    Good advice! I realized whenever I turn the steering wheel to the right the trailer sometimes went left and sometimes right. That confuses me to no end

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  7. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    If its confusing for you, try using the bottom half of the steering wheel, and turn it into the direction that you want the trailer to go. When you use top half of steering wheel its totally opposite. Basically backing is a good setup, and gradual turning of the steering wheel to guide your trailer where it needs to go. You do not need to turn the wheel like you re buffing a car after waxing it

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Backing is easy [in most situations] after you've done it a thousand times.

This is why new guys don't make the same money as the more experienced guys. It's assumed new guys are going to tear more stuff up and cost more money in property repairs and lost time/revenue.

jammer910Z and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  9. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Also, there is no time limit in backing. I have never seem someone with a stopwatch timing you how long it takes to back. The main thing is to get in the dock or parking space without hitting or killing someone

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And thanks for the acknowledgment but I would be remiss if I did not make the following statement ....

Make the most of your training but understand that what you're doing now is a walk in the park compared to the real-world situations you will face every day in truck stops and at shipper and receiver facilities everywhere. Some will be relatively easy but many will challenging at best with expensive property, close on all sides, and both ends.

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've always watched my trailer tires too. While it's true, there is no time limit to backing in, just make sure you get in there before the shift change ( I used to hate shift changes)

Tb0n3, bigkev1115 and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.