I inherited a truck & business...Advice?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by XS_HEI, Jan 7, 2021.

1. XS_HEI

XS_HEI Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Hello,
    I'm in a bit of a pickle, not a bad one but simply a pickle. I am now the owner of an owner operator operation. My brother passed and everything he worked so hard to set up is now in my lap - a city girl working in finance with no trucking experience.
    I do not want to throw away all he worked for; he wanted this business to be successful and an asset for our family. Plus I ran his books, I know the potential earnings. But I am also realistic and understand that I may possible take on more than I expect. He was in talks regarding a partnership and fleet business at the time of his passing. Skipping through the details and using the minimal knowledge I gained over a few days of internet research, I have listed exactly what I have to work with below. Please, leave some advice or guidance if you have any. Maybe tell me what you would do in my situation.

Thank you,
    X

Truck: Owned
    2012 Volvo VNL, common engine (whatever that means), 800K miles, stick shift

Trailer: Did not own

Business Stuff:
    3/4 year history (consecutive - I am only counting from reactivation to present).
    Has the DOT# or MC#
    Spotless record (he was very proud of that)
    Enough capital to finance another truck or buy a trailer
    1 driver

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Dear lady, just sell everything and move on with life

okiedokie, m16ty, dpf_hugger and 30 others Thank this.
  4. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Look for maintenance records, see what kind of shape the truck is in, look at the value of the business, im sorry for your loss, please don't let that interfere with a business decision, if there is money for expansion, get a newer truck higher a driver ( RELIABLE), good luck, lease it on to a company and grow the company.
    You can use his numbers, and do it yourself, sell the numbers

Coffey Thanks this.
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I couldn't agree more. The business was HIM, not the tools attached to it. If you don't know anything about the business, sell it off and move on. He would rather see you do that than destroy it, and what it takes to keep from destroying it takes years and years to learn.

6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    First of all, I am sorry for your loss. I admire you for what you are wanting to do to keep his memory and legacy alive. You seem like someone who could make it work if you are very determined that is for sure what you want to do.

Trucking, like several have said, is very complex. It is a full time job for an O/O and your brother obviously had a good thing figured out that I’m sure took years of hard work. My advice would be instead of trying to take over with no previous experience, and possibly losing everything he worked so hard for, to sell out and use the money in a good way for your family or something in his memory.

I own a truck, and if something happened to me I would want my wife to sell out and keep the money instead of trying to keep it going. In fact I try to keep my business in a way that she could.

Once again sorry for your loss and good luck with whatever you decide.

p608, Badmon, John E. and 10 others Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Sorry about losing your brother.

like others have said trucking is very complex. We would need to know more information about the operation and how it worked in order to know whether it was worth keeping going or not.

Id say unless you feel passionate enough to quit your job and dive in full time then go ahead and respectfully close things down and just know your brother appreciated you giving it a serious look but ultimately did the right thing.

Good luck to you.

p608, bzinger, Bean Jr. and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I know it sounds great to have this fall into your lap but sell it, the truck is hard to pin down what the worth is, but authority and business (if it is a business entity) will be easy to get by selling it whole.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I couldn't imagine a better situation for failure. Your brother obviously was a success because he knew what he was doing. To be in your situation, is the probably the worst way to get into it. The truck, to be honest, isn't worth much, and to put a driver in a truck with 800K is not a good idea, it's shot. Bail out and go into hand sanitizer, but not trucking. Good luck.

okiedokie, rachi, Coffey and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Sell,sell,sell.
    You want no parts of trucking.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    If when he died, he left you cash equal to
    The amount of his trucking business.
    You would never start a trucking business with it.
    So don't try it now.
    Sell it,take whatever you can get and be done with it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.