I just got hit by a deer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, Feb 22, 2020.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    There were 5 of them across both lanes. I was doing 65mph. The limit was 70 or 75.

All the deer ran except for the one in front of me. She just crouched down and she went under. It was gross and a little depressing. It was one of those smaller breed deer.

There was a car to my left close to my bumper. By the time I saw them they were pretty close, did not use brake. It was dark area just black beyond my headlight.

My bumper is smashed. It appears to be cosmetic damage only. There's nothing leaking.

No deer guts or blood, but there is deer hair stuck in the torn parts of the bumper.

Reported everything. Do hit deer ever go down as a preventable?

tscottme, Vic Firth, InTooDeep and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    No. It’s non preventable. What’s preventable is swerving and running off the road, or worse.So I’ve been told anyway. I’ve been hit at least 6 times. It sucks. But what can You do? Hold it steady. You’ve definately got the wording right You got hit by a deer, you didn’t hit a deer. Lol.

4. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Good job holding steady. You did what we’re supposed to do! You won’t get in trouble.. take pics of any blood and gore on the damaged area! I sure did!

5. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Sounds like you hit an the deer first. Deer was minding its own Business. And along game ###### billy the truck and attacked him. Hope there isn’t a warrant out for your arrest. If you are an over the road trucker your lucky. Deer kill warrants aren’t extraditable. So stay out of that state. If your a local driver your ####ed.

magoo68, InTooDeep, D.Tibbitt and 6 others Thank this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm afraid the deer would beg to differ with the title of this thread.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Did you snap a couple pics? The insurance people apparently like seeing pics of poop, and hair and gore on the trucks.

8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Thus the expression "deer in the headlights" (and in the grille).

D.Tibbitt and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    When will those deer ever learn to use the crosswalk???

Numb, Vic Firth, flood and 5 others Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Meh, plenty more where that came from. Get deer guard, and knock the next one to kingdom come. And some companies DO say it's a preventable. I'd sure fight that one, though.

D.Tibbitt, Rideandrepair and Doealex Thank this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i actually worked, at more than one company, that we were told in the orientation, that IF there are ANY deer crossing/warning signs, and you hit a deer with in x amount of yardage(?) of those signs, then YES, it was a preventable, as you were warned to watch out for them.

we had a rather boisterous discussion those times in orientations regarding this, and each company stood firm on the issue.

i do not know how many companies THESE days, consider a deer strike. i think it best you just up and ask your company, i mean after all, you had to report it as you said, due to the damage.

my last company (that i retired from) i had hit a deer, and it was a god awful noise. (if i have pics, i will post later) and the owner and safety manager both said, "it happens, this time of year, when they are in rut????" and then they had a conference telephone safety meeting, and the safety manager just said for all of us to be super careful"

and i was never charged with an accident or incident.

all superficial damages, i was able to drive it back to my d/c center.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.