I just wanna Drive!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by EnthuasticaboutTrucking, Nov 11, 2018.

1. EnthuasticaboutTrucking

EnthuasticaboutTrucking Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2018
    I was arrested 8 months ago for a felony drug charge and haven’t been in any trouble since I have checked each month since and don’t have a court date on the calendar for the year of 2018. I got accepted into trucking school, passed the drug screen, my question is will those charges show up on my background and I haven’t had a court date?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, trucking companies will find out.
    You won't have any problem finding a trucking job though.
    Where do you live; state and nearest city. We'll help you find a trucking job.
    8 mos. ago and haven't heard anything yet? Maybe you lucked out. Ask your lawyer; tell him you need to get to work trucking. Maybe he can pull off a plea deal so you can get this behind you.

4. Samuelh

Samuelh Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    the arrest will show up, but if you haven't been to court than no conviction will show up until after it happens, should it happen.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The wheels of Government and especially Justice grind slowly.

Don't stress. They will eventually roll over you sooner or later. Best to wait it out and MAKE SURE you are free from the "System" and any convictions or probation etc before attempting trucking.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I would make absolutely sure that if you do get convicted, it will not be on a charge that will trigger an automatic suspension of your CDL as per 383.51.
    The way I'm reading it shouldn't matter, but again something to consider before getting your CDL.

7. EnthuasticaboutTrucking

Nov 11, 2018
    Georgia

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Now now now, this is an open forum no one owns anything.

That said, from my point of view, a bunch of companies are starting to tighten up on the background checks and even with 'expunged' records (thinking of your future), the arrest and conviction once into the system is always in A system somewhere and always shows up. These are not those $59 internet criminal searches but those done by legit and established services. So it would be a wise move to get this out of the way first before even attending a school.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed quoted post.
    Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. EnthuasticaboutTrucking

Nov 11, 2018
    If I already got approved and started trucking school, passed all the necessary procedures, will it affect be after I graduate?

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are going to find that CDL after you graduation is among the easiest lost if you happen to make certain decisions in trucking in general that is causing damage, injury or loss of life to anyone. Protecting that CDL is one of the top things you will do in life after you get it. Nothing is final in life. You can have it today after graduation and lose it all tomorrow when convicted by the court for example.

One of your posts indicate some level of stress and problems with possibly myself or someone saying things you don't want to hear. Im sorry that you are trapped on a hobby horse unable to get a final answer. The fact is that there was a Arrest and that is going to be a part of your life until the system finishes with you at some point in the future.

One of the things I would suggest doing is contacting the arresting PD and asking for the incident report and possibly ask if it has been disposed of by the local DA in that area (Or Prosecutor declining to press charges) you might find that case has been declined and there is nothing to take you into court for. That would be the best solution. On the other hand you might create a situation where the DA might remember your case and proceed to dispose of it in court with either a conviction against you or something else.

Life does not always provide for hard answers. Trucking is not a x this Y that and z something else and done forever. Oh no. Today's actions on the road will decide tomorrow if you have a job, a future or something else. Or nothing.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trillium Staffing is a staffing agency that also uses CDL-A drivers. They can probably keep you local or at least in the area until your legal problem is solved.
    Start some applications now, before you graduate.
    Do the online applications. You should apply to "felony friendly" companies.
    Trillium Staffing
    Carolina Cargo Freight
    Rusty Dog Express
    Roadtex Transportation
    Western Express
    Senn Freight Lines

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.