I lost my work at 64 and became a low-paid delivery driver

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    At age 64, he should have had his retirement settled. If he had not saved for the future, he has no one to blame but himself.

WildTiger1990 and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Agree. I've seen people wait until just a few weeks before retirement to buy an expensive item, such as a new car, then retire. They knew that they wouldn't qualify for the car after retirement.
    I've seen truckers cash out their retirement account to buy a new pickup truck and take an expensive vacation.
    We should remember; truckers are just one DOT physical away from being unemployed.

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Of course, this fellow is in Great Britain, but they do have some retirement benefits.

6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have close friends who live in Dagenham, right outside of London. He worked for Ford at the huge assembly plant there, until it closed.
    The OAP (Old Age Pension) as it is called there is no better or worse than our own Social Security. It is part of the equation, but like has been mentioned, you have to have a plan, implement it, the earlier the better.

For me the Aha moment was when I discovered the Dave Ramsey program and I was only 50 years old at the time. Out of debt by the time I was 53, Started saving and scrimping knowing "the day" will come. Didn't know when for sure, or what would trigger it. I do now.
    A 20 year old tractor, me qualifying for full SS benefits, and the final straw, Covid, which killed my business exactly like the guy in the article, hauling trailers to special events. The perfect storm had arrived. If that wasn't enough, a close friend my age, 68, we went to HS together, was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That is a life changing event. Odds are he won't be alive in 2 years. Makes me glad just to be above ground.

I even survived a divorce along the way, which split the amoeba exactly down the middle. The divorce was partly because the ex just could not wrap her head around retirement was coming and changes had to happen. She does now. She is isn't making it, and will easily outlive her nest egg. I probably will survive financially, barring major illness emptying the bank account.

7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Or like back in 07,08 lost ninety percent of my 401k and never did fully recover.
    No more 401k it is in a safe and
    To hell with it unless the dollar becomes worthless. Which it possibly could. Should be ok

8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Hopefully it’s not in cash in the safe.the fedgov is going to devalue dollars until they are completely worthless.

should be in the form of ruger and glock and Winchester and Remington etc

Some gold coins , silver coins , and brass & lead combined .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.